all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* break (C-c C-C) in shell broken
@ 2003-08-15 20:27 fred
From: fred @ 2003-08-15 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using all the time a shell window from emacs and it
used to be the case that Control-C Control-C would send a
break to the shell. It is a feature I use all the time
(specially when doing SQL queries).
However, it stopped working just recently.
Local unix system engineers couldn't help.

I use:
GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, Motif Version 2.1.0) of 2002-09-10
GNU bash, version 2.03.0(1)-release (sparc-sun-solaris)

I also tried to recompile and reinstall emacs today with no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

fred.

* Re: break (C-c C-C) in shell broken
@ 2003-08-17 19:24 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-17 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

fredanonyme@yahoo.com (fred) writes:

> I am using all the time a shell window from emacs and it
> used to be the case that Control-C Control-C would send a
> break to the shell. It is a feature I use all the time
> (specially when doing SQL queries).
> However, it stopped working just recently.

What does C-h k C-c C-c say in the situation where you would like it
to send a break to the shell?

What happens when you type C-c C-c to send a break to the shell?
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.

* Re: break (C-c C-C) in shell broken
@ 2003-08-18 15:11   ` fred
From: fred @ 2003-08-18 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<84wudcw0i3.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> fredanonyme@yahoo.com (fred) writes:
>
> > I am using all the time a shell window from emacs and it
> > used to be the case that Control-C Control-C would send a
> > break to the shell. It is a feature I use all the time
> > (specially when doing SQL queries).
> > However, it stopped working just recently.
>
> What does C-h k C-c C-c say in the situation where you would like it
> to send a break to the shell?

C-c C-c runs the command comint-interrupt-subjob
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `comint'.
(comint-interrupt-subjob)

> What happens when you type C-c C-c to send a break to the shell?

nothing. When selecting it from the menu bar, it says
'menu-bar signals break' in the minibuffer window. But still doesn't
break.

@ 2003-08-21 15:15     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-21 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

fredanonyme@yahoo.com (fred) writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<84wudcw0i3.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
>> fredanonyme@yahoo.com (fred) writes:
>>
>> > I am using all the time a shell window from emacs and it
>> > used to be the case that Control-C Control-C would send a
>> > break to the shell. It is a feature I use all the time
>> > (specially when doing SQL queries).
>> > However, it stopped working just recently.
>>
>> What does C-h k C-c C-c say in the situation where you would like it
>> to send a break to the shell?
>>
> C-c C-c runs the command comint-interrupt-subjob
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `comint'.
> (comint-interrupt-subjob)
>
>> What happens when you type C-c C-c to send a break to the shell?
>
> nothing.

Hm.  C-c C-c is invoking the right command, but the command doesn't
do anything.

I have no idea how come this happens.  Hm.  I would perhaps locate
the source for the function (M-x find-function RET
comint-interrupt-subjob RET), then M-x edebug-defun RET it, then
single-step through it to see what happens.
--

@ 2003-08-27  4:05       ` fred
From: fred @ 2003-08-27  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was told a work-around:
 typing C-q C-c C-q C-c and then enter
which is working.

Maybe now somebody may have an idea on what could have broken the C-c C-c
command, and how to fix it ?

thanks.

Fred.

@ 2003-08-27 13:44         ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-08-27 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

    fred> I was told a work-around: typing C-q C-c C-q C-c and then
    fred> enter which is working.

Nice tip thanks.  I have been relying on 'end process' from task
manager to stop hung processes.

    fred> Maybe now somebody may have an idea on what could have
    fred> broken the C-c C-c command, and how to fix it ?

Is it broken in the cvs version?  I'm using 21.3.