all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* password shows on emacs as a shell
@ 2002-11-05 16:33 Luigi
From: Luigi @ 2002-11-05 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I run Linux SuSE 8.0 and try Emacs as a unix shell.
The bad thing is that as "su -", emacs shows the password while I type it.
Not so nice.
What do you think, please?
Luigi

* Re: password shows on emacs as a shell
@ 2002-11-05 16:46 ` Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany
From: Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany @ 2002-11-05 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luigi> I run Linux SuSE 8.0 and try Emacs as a unix shell.
Luigi> The bad thing is that as "su -", emacs shows the password while I type it.
Luigi> Not so nice.
Luigi> What do you think, please?

Put the following in your .emacs:

  (add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions 'comint-watch-for-password-prompt)

From the documentation:

  comint-watch-for-password-prompt is a compiled Lisp function in `comint'.
  (comint-watch-for-password-prompt STRING)

  Prompt in the minibuffer for password and send without echoing.
  This function uses `send-invisible' to read and send a password to the buffer's
  process if STRING contains a password prompt defined by
  `comint-password-prompt-regexp'.

    Hth -- Peter

--
Consultant der CLASS AG   http://www.class.de
Professional Services

* Re: password shows on emacs as a shell
@ 2002-11-05 17:14 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-05 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

kirpi@tiscali.it (Luigi) writes:

> I run Linux SuSE 8.0 and try Emacs as a unix shell.
> The bad thing is that as "su -", emacs shows the password while I type it.
> Not so nice.
> What do you think, please?

See the function comint-watch-for-password-prompt.

kai

* Re: password shows on emacs as a shell
@ 2002-11-05 17:20 ` Joachim Pense
From: Joachim Pense @ 2002-11-05 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

kirpi@tiscali.it (Luigi)
(news:be47c593.0211050833.20ae67cf@posting.google.com):

> I run Linux SuSE 8.0 and try Emacs as a unix shell.
> The bad thing is that as "su -", emacs shows the password while I type
> it. Not so nice.
> What do you think, please?
> Luigi

If you want to enter a password, type "M-X send-invisible". Then you are
prompted for the text, enter it in hidden format, and it is not displayed.

Joachim

* Re: password shows on emacs as a shell
@ 2002-11-07 22:09   ` Luigi
From: Luigi @ 2002-11-07 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

These lines are also for Eric Hanchrow, who emailed about the same
valuable suggestions as Peter Weiss did.
Just I need a little hint more, please.
I did not understand the documentation part that kindly Peter added to
the message. Others will surely benefit from it.
I am not an expert.

I found that there are many files called .emacs inside my computer.
One of them is in /home/luigi and, as I am Luigi, this is probably the
file you mean.
Now, I opened the file, and it is full of strange lines, similar to
the one you suggested me to add.
So, what should I do? Should I copy this line from here:
(add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
'comint-watch-for-password-prompt)
and paste it right at the end of the file?
Also, I remember I read somewhere, one day in the past, that some
files exist, used to control computers, which have to end with a "line
feed" command, or so, otherwise strange things may happen.
I am afraid of strange things inside my computer.
So, can I just copy and paste, or there is something that I must know?
Thank you

@ 2002-11-07 23:24     ` those who know me have no need of my name
From: those who know me have no need of my name @ 2002-11-07 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

in comp.unix.shell i read:

>I did not understand the documentation part that kindly Peter added to
>the message. Others will surely benefit from it.
>I am not an expert.

you are using emacs but you don't understand how to configure it?  that
sounds painful -- you should probably start reading the documentation.

>So, what should I do? Should I copy this line from here:
>(add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
>'comint-watch-for-password-prompt)
>and paste it right at the end of the file?

yes, put that text in your .emacs and then you can evaluate it immediately
or you need to restart emacs.

* Re: password shows on emacs as a shell
@ 2002-11-08 17:23     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-08 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

kirpi@tiscali.it (Luigi) writes:

> I found that there are many files called .emacs inside my computer.
> One of them is in /home/luigi and, as I am Luigi, this is probably the
> file you mean.

Inside Emacs, you can type C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET and you will be
looking at the right file.

> Now, I opened the file, and it is full of strange lines, similar to
> the one you suggested me to add.
> So, what should I do?

I know that the following is painful, but I really really really
suggest that you should understand the lines already in the file to
get some understanding of what they do.  I know that many people like
to get long .emacs files from others and they are happy with it, but
my experience is that having unknown lines in there will bite you
sooner or later.

One approach you could take is to rename the .emacs file to something
else and then start Emacs without it and see what happens.  Maybe you
don't miss all the strange lines.  In case you do miss something, you
could try adding back lines from the old .emacs file to get it
again.  But only a few lines for each feature you're missing.  And
add comments for all the lines so that at least you know which
feature prompted you to put the lines there!

Another approach is that you keep the .emacs file but start to try to
understand it.  Maybe one line per day...

kai

* Re: password shows on emacs as a shell
@ 2002-11-08 19:29       ` Luigi
From: Luigi @ 2002-11-08 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> you are using emacs but you don't understand how to configure it?  that
> sounds painful -- you should probably start reading the documentation.

You are right, theoretically.
I would like to study documentation (and I do, sometimes), but it
turns out that such documentation is huge, and mostly it gives for
granted that you know some lisp (I think it is a computer language),
unix (it is a miracle if I succeeded in installing my linux, and still
I can't use floppy and cd-rom...), and many other things.
I would like to have time and study, but I can't.
Emacs is to me just a simple tool: I use it to write letters to wife,
friends,...
Imagine it is like an electric-drill: you use it to make holes, but
you do not have the skill to disassemble and reassemble it. At least,
I couldn't, myself.
This is why I asked for some help.
And this is why I'm so grateful to you all.

Luigi

P.S. I was suggested by a friend to give commands inside emacs,
instead of using a simple shell: this way I can save all the commands
and computer messages so that if I need help I can provide the log of
all I dit.
This is why I tried to use emacs as a shell.

* Re: password shows on emacs as a shell
@ 2002-11-11 11:55       ` Luigi
From: Luigi @ 2002-11-11 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I will try, kai.

@ 2002-11-11 20:01       ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-11-11 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Inside Emacs, you can type C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET and you will be
> looking at the right file.

On SuSE Linux ~/.emacs loads ~/.gnu-emacs; thus please edit
~/.gnu-emacs if you want to add own customizations.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |      ,__o

* Re: password shows on emacs as a shell
@ 2002-11-11 20:38         ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-11-11 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Inside Emacs, you can type C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET and you will be
>> looking at the right file.
>
> On SuSE Linux ~/.emacs loads ~/.gnu-emacs; thus please edit
> ~/.gnu-emacs if you want to add own customizations.

Do you know why?

It seems like a somewhat stu^Hrange decision.  It makes it much more
cumbersome to give people advice here -- especially if other
distributors get "creative" too and all them make up gratuitous names
for '~/.emacs'.

* Re: password shows on emacs as a shell
@ 2002-11-11 21:06   ` Luigi
From: Luigi @ 2002-11-11 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> See the function comint-watch-for-password-prompt.

As far as I understand, a "function" is something like a command, used
to control the computer.
I looked for this "comint-watch-for-password-prompt" thing into
google, and found huge repositories of information, things like
http://www.lns.cornell.edu/public/COMP/info/emacs/emacs_42.html and
others, which would take me three three months to read and six years
to (maybe) understand.
Up to now I could not find the strange string I was looking for.
It seems that the funny word "comint" is recurring, though, whatever
it means.

@ 2002-11-11 21:15   ` Luigi
From: Luigi @ 2002-11-11 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

For all of you to know: I pasted the suggested string into the last
line of that .emacs file. I tried to save, but a prompt came out
saying that maybe I had to insert one more empty line (or something
similar): I answered "yes", and now it all works.
Once more, thanks to you all.

@ 2002-11-12  8:15           ` Eric Marsden
From: Eric Marsden @ 2002-11-12  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

  ke> On SuSE Linux ~/.emacs loads ~/.gnu-emacs; thus please edit
  ke> ~/.gnu-emacs if you want to add own customizations.

  jh> Do you know why?
  jh>
  jh> It seems like a somewhat stu^Hrange decision. It makes it much
  jh> more cumbersome to give people advice here -- especially if
  jh> other distributors get "creative" too and all them make up
  jh> gratuitous names for '~/.emacs'.

I agree; this is very unfortunate packaging on the part of SuSE. They
ignore the standard site-init facility, putting all their
customizations in each user's personal init file. Their customizations
are extensive, intrusive, undocumented, and in certain cases
misguided.

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>

* Re: password shows on emacs as a shell
@ 2002-11-12 18:31             ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-11-12 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bugmail

@product        : SuSELinux
@version        : 8.2-pre
@component      : documentation
@short_desc     : add notes on Emacs customization
@assigned_to    : ke@suse.de
@rep_platform   : All
@bug_severity   : enhancement
@priority       : P3
@groupset       : ReadWorld
@op_sys         : Linux

Eric Marsden <emarsden@laas.fr> writes:

>   ke> On SuSE Linux ~/.emacs loads ~/.gnu-emacs; thus please edit
>   ke> ~/.gnu-emacs if you want to add own customizations.
>
>   jh> Do you know why?

Short answer: for historical reasons.  .emacs will also load
.xemacs/init.el when appropriate.

>   jh> It seems like a somewhat stu^Hrange decision. It makes it much
>   jh> more cumbersome to give people advice here -- especially if
>   jh> other distributors get "creative" too and all them make up
>   jh> gratuitous names for '~/.emacs'.

Yes.  Of course, advantageous users can comment out the .gnu-emacs

> I agree; this is very unfortunate packaging on the part of SuSE. They
> ignore the standard site-init facility, putting all their
> customizations in each user's personal init file. Their customizations
> are extensive, intrusive, undocumented, and in certain cases
> misguided.

Strong words, but let me try to explain it (hope I'll get the details
right; I don't maintain the Emacs package on SuSE Linux).  Some years
ago (6, 7 years or so), customizations where necessary for european
users.  Those settings were added to /etc/skel/.{,gnu-}emacs.  I was
told it isn't possible to change it easily because old user are used to
it and you must honor their way to use Emacs.

These days a new user should feel free to start without customization.
I'll add some notes to the manual (bugzilla entry via CC).