all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is there any way to tell M-x tetris to save scores outside of /tmp?
@ 2003-04-23  3:35 Daniel R. Anderson
From: Daniel R. Anderson @ 2003-04-23  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

	Every once in a while I use M-x tetris to help me let off some steam,
but scores are stored in /tmp and /tmp is emtied every reboot.  Is there
any way to specify another file, so that scores stick around longer then
1 reboot?  (Granted, the time between reboots may be several weeks, but
it's still dissapointing to boot up and see no tetris scores.  )

-Dan Anderson

* Re: Is there any way to tell M-x tetris to save scores outside of /tmp?
       [not found] <mailman.5100.1051069205.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-23  5:40 ` Friedrich Dominicus
       [not found]   ` <b882vr$6kc$1@news1.wdf.sap-ag.de>
From: Friedrich Dominicus @ 2003-04-23  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel R. Anderson" <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> 	Every once in a while I use M-x tetris to help me let off some steam,
> but scores are stored in /tmp and /tmp is emtied every reboot.  Is there
> any way to specify another file, so that scores stick around longer then
> 1 reboot?  (Granted, the time between reboots may be several weeks, but
> it's still dissapointing to boot up and see no tetris scores.  )
Well as I understand you use Emacs regularly. And you do not know how
to find a special file on it?

Ok this is what I've done
C-h a tetris
a window with this name comes up
moved the cursor on it typed F5 which runs
find-symbol-at-point here. Tetris is a functions so
find-function-at-point would have been fine too

a buffer with tetris.el has been opened.
run C-s score
type it again and found this:
(defvar tetris-score-file "/tmp/tetris-scores"
;; anybody with a well-connected server want to host this?
;(defvar tetris-score-file "/anonymous@ftp.pgt.com:/pub/cgw/tetris-scores"
  "File for holding high scores")

Well, how much easier could one find things?

The answer is
(setq tetrix-score-file "path_which_persists")

Regards
Friedrich

@ 2003-04-24 16:41     ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]       ` <b8b0op$uu$1@news1.wdf.sap-ag.de>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-24 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Straubinger <KSNetz@Arcor.DE> writes:

> By the way, is tetris.el intentionally missing from my Emacs 21.2
> as delivered with RedHat 9?

Some Linux distributions have an extra package for all the *.el
files.  (The general Emacs package contains the *.elc files only.)  I
recommend to install it; the *.el files contain useful documentation,
accessible via M-x finder-commentary RET, for instance.

--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

@ 2003-04-25 14:08         ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]           ` <b8bgcm$bd5$2@news1.wdf.sap-ag.de>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-25 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Straubinger <KSNetz@Arcor.DE> writes:

> This is exactly the reason why I installed the additional emacs-el
> package. Alas, the tetris game is missing there also.

Oh, strange.  I have compiled Emacs from source, and have tetris.el.
--

@ 2003-04-25 14:33         ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-25 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Straubinger <KSNetz@Arcor.DE> writes:

> Alas, the tetris game is missing there also. Thus my question if it
> had to be removed or if it has been an oversight by RedHat not to
> include it in their latest distribution (it was there in Redhat 8.0).

It's there in Redhat 7.3 as well.

Hmm, isn't Tetris a trademark or something¹?  Maybe Redhat don't want to
be sued by the holders of the trademark.

¹ <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1997/debian-devel-199709/msg00321.html>

* Re: RedHat 9 has no tetris.el (was: Is there any way to tell M-x tetris to save scores outside of /tmp?)
       [not found]           ` <b8bgcm$bd5$2@news1.wdf.sap-ag.de>
@ 2003-04-25 14:51             ` David Kastrup
       [not found]               ` <b8bjee$edj$1@news1.wdf.sap-ag.de>
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-04-25 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Straubinger <KSNetz@Arcor.DE> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>
> > Oh, strange.  I have compiled Emacs from source, and have tetris.el.
>
> I found a changelog entry in emacs-el, from 2003-01-15:
>
>     - remove games that we shouldn't ship
>
> Maybe tetris is a game that RedHat should not ship? However, I see no
> possible reason for this. Is the name "tetris" in any way legally
> protected?

<URL:http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/2430/tetris.html>

* Re: RedHat 9 has no tetris.el
       [not found]               ` <b8bjee$edj$1@news1.wdf.sap-ag.de>
@ 2003-04-25 23:00                 ` Daniel R. Anderson
From: Daniel R. Anderson @ 2003-04-25 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 11:15, Klaus Straubinger wrote:
> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > <URL:http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/2430/tetris.html>
>
> Ah well. Are the Emacs maintainers aware of this?
> Should any action be taken?

Well, not everyone happens to live in the US.  If your distro isn't from
the US it may not matter.

-Dan