all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* AltGr on german keyboard not working in Xemacs 21.1/Solaris
@ 2003-04-25  8:50 Andreas Spengler
From: Andreas Spengler @ 2003-04-25  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

(although I am not aware of any changes I made ;-)) since a few days,
my AltGr key (German keyboard) is not working anymore in Xemacs under
Solaris.

I use this Solaris machine by sshing from a Linux laptop and noticed
that in contrast to a friend's computer with the same configuration my
xmodmap configuration shows no "Mode_switch" setting.

However on the Linux machine itself xemacs works without a flaw...

Can anyone give me a hint?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

* Re: AltGr on german keyboard not working in Xemacs 21.1/Solaris
@ 2003-04-26 13:56 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-26 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

andreas@spengler-netz.de (Andreas Spengler) writes:

> (although I am not aware of any changes I made ;-)) since a few days,
> my AltGr key (German keyboard) is not working anymore in Xemacs under
> Solaris.

This is the Emacs crowd here, to talk to the XEmacs folks you should
look round the corner, in comp.emacs.xemacs.

> I use this Solaris machine by sshing from a Linux laptop and noticed
> that in contrast to a friend's computer with the same configuration my
> xmodmap configuration shows no "Mode_switch" setting.
>
> However on the Linux machine itself xemacs works without a flaw...

Well, Mode_switch means that you can type <Mode_switch> <a> <">
(three key presses in succession) to get ä.  I think.  Is this what
you want?  Is this what happens?

Do you use XEmacs in tty mode on the Solaris box or do you use X11
redirection?
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: AltGr on german keyboard not working in Xemacs 21.1/Solaris
@ 2003-04-28  6:05   ` Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2003-04-28  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> andreas@spengler-netz.de (Andreas Spengler) writes:
    >> (although I am not aware of any changes I made ;-)) since a few days,
    >> my AltGr key (German keyboard) is not working anymore in Xemacs under
    >> Solaris.
    Kai>
    Kai> This is the Emacs crowd here, to talk to the XEmacs folks you should
    Kai> look round the corner, in comp.emacs.xemacs.
    Kai>
    >> I use this Solaris machine by sshing from a Linux laptop and noticed
    >> that in contrast to a friend's computer with the same configuration my
    >> xmodmap configuration shows no "Mode_switch" setting.

then I'd say it can't possibly work and it shouldn't work anywhere else
e.g. in a xterm. Did you try to add one to your xmodmaprc file?
Do you know xkeycaps, that might help you for keyboard selection/modification.

    >> However on the Linux machine itself xemacs works without a flaw...

now I'm puzzled. Do you say you login on your Linux PC and xmodmap settings
are ok, but they change when you ssh to your Solaris workstation from there?

    Kai> Well, Mode_switch means that you can type <Mode_switch> <a> <">
    Kai> (three key presses in succession) to get ä.  I think.  Is this what
    Kai> you want?  Is this what happens?

Isn't that the Multi_key you're talking about?
I think with Mode_switch you get, if assigned the columns 3 and 4 of a key's
definition.

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
---
There are three principal ways to lose money: wine, women, and
engineers.  While the first two are more pleasant, the third is
by far the more certain.          -- Baron Rothschild, ca. 1800

* Re: AltGr on german keyboard not working in Xemacs 21.1/Solaris
@ 2003-04-28  6:27     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-28  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Zeitler <kzeitler+usenet@gsm-mailhost.de.lucent.com> writes:

> Isn't that the Multi_key you're talking about?

Argh.  Thank you.  Yes, you're right.

*blush*
--

@ 2003-04-28  9:34     ` Andreas Spengler
From: Andreas Spengler @ 2003-04-28  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Zeitler wrote,

> now I'm puzzled. Do you say you login on your Linux PC and xmodmap settings
> are ok, but they change when you ssh to your Solaris workstation from there?

On my Linux box I get a "{", when I press AltGr+7. SSHing to the
Solaris machine and starting Xemacs or Emacs (just double-checked it),
I get a "7" when I press the exact key combination again...

Greets,

@ 2003-04-28 10:26       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-28 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

andreas@spengler-netz.de (Andreas Spengler) writes:

> Klaus Zeitler wrote,
>
>> now I'm puzzled. Do you say you login on your Linux PC and xmodmap settings
>> are ok, but they change when you ssh to your Solaris workstation from there?
>
> On my Linux box I get a "{", when I press AltGr+7. SSHing to the
> Solaris machine and starting Xemacs or Emacs (just double-checked it),
> I get a "7" when I press the exact key combination again...

Does this happen with "emacs -nw", too?

What does C-h l say after AltGr+7?

--

@ 2003-05-02 12:52         ` Andreas Spengler