all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Strange line-wrapping
@ 2002-11-12 17:17 Fredrik
From: Fredrik @ 2002-11-12 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using NTemacs 21.2.1 I have the following problem:

I like to have my code wrapped automatically so I've set c-ignore-auto-
fill to nil which works pretty well. However, there is some strange
behaviour. This works fine:

int Method(int parameter1, int  <---- automatic wrap
           parameter2, int parameter3)
{
}

But if ther is a comment before the line to wrap, I get the following
result:

//----------
//Comment
//----------
int Method(int parameter1, int  <---- automatic wrap
//parameter2, int parameter3)   <---- now this is a comment!
{
}

ie the comment-signs (//) is added to the new line.

Can someone explain this? And how do I solve it?

Regards
//Fredrik

* Re: Strange line-wrapping
@ 2002-11-13  7:51 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-13  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fredrik <nospam-foberg@yahoo.com> writes:

> But if ther is a comment before the line to wrap, I get the following
> result:
>
> //----------
> //Comment
> //----------
> int Method(int parameter1, int  <---- automatic wrap
> //parameter2, int parameter3)   <---- now this is a comment!
> {
> }
>

> ie the comment-signs (//) is added to the new line.
>
> Can someone explain this?

Explanation is easy: Emacs takes the fill prefix (the "//" is a fill
prefix) from the second line of each paragraph.  That way, you can do
stuff like the following

        Look, this is a paragraph where the first line is indented
    eight spaces and all subsequent lines are indented four spaces.
    I can just keep on typing and the indentation will be correct.
    The four spaces that get inserted automatically in front of each
    line are the fill prefix.

> And how do I solve it?

Tell Emacs that each non-comment line is the start of a new
paragraph: see variable paragraph-start, and also paragraph-separate,
perhaps.

kai

* Re: Strange line-wrapping
@ 2002-11-13 21:48   ` Fredrik
From: Fredrik @ 2002-11-13 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) wrote in

>> And how do I solve it?
>
> Tell Emacs that each non-comment line is the start of a new
> paragraph: see variable paragraph-start, and also paragraph-separate,
> perhaps.

Looking up the variables tells me their values are

"[ 	]*\\(//+\\|\\**\\)[ 	]*$\\|^\f"

and

"[ 	\f]*$"

As my emacs-knowledge is rather limited, I have no idea on how to
interpretate this information. Can anybody help me?

BTW Kai, emacswiki (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?
IndentationTutorial) tells me you have an indentation-tutorial at

http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/~grossjoh/emacs/tutorials.html

When trying to view that page, the server tells me I don't have
permission to access it. Is this correct, i.e. I should not have access
to it, or is there an error?

Regards
/Fredrik

* Re: Strange line-wrapping
@ 2002-11-14 16:22     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fredrik <nospam-foberg@yahoo.com> writes:

> BTW Kai, emacswiki (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?
> IndentationTutorial) tells me you have an indentation-tutorial at
>
> http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/~grossjoh/emacs/tutorials.html
>
> When trying to view that page, the server tells me I don't have
> permission to access it. Is this correct, i.e. I should not have access
> to it, or is there an error?

I apologize.  I've recently changed jobs and getting my web page back
up has had a too low priority to get done already.

First, I was lacking a chair and a desk.  Then I was lacking a
pencil.  Now I'm still lacking an eraser and a trash can...  :-)

kai