all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Redefinig keys
@ 2002-12-08 20:16 Bernd Schandl
From: Bernd Schandl @ 2002-12-08 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just installed a new SuSE Linux version with Emacs 21.2.1 and some commands
in my .emacs don't work anymore. I am redefining some function keys with
commands like
  (global-set-key [(control f5)] 'find-file)
But C-f5 doesn't work. What might be wrong? Did something concerning
global-set-key change in recent versions of Emacs? Or did I change some
other setting that makes this stop working?
Also, when I try to use global-set-key interactively and I get to the point
where I have to enter the key to define, pressing C-f5 (or any other function
key) does not invoke any reaction. Pressing something else (like C-f) works
fine?

  Bernd

* Re: Redefinig keys
@ 2002-12-09  7:42 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-09  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

schandl@gmx.net (Bernd Schandl) writes:

> Also, when I try to use global-set-key interactively and I get to the point
> where I have to enter the key to define, pressing C-f5 (or any other function
> key) does not invoke any reaction. Pressing something else (like C-f) works
> fine?

Maybe your window manager is eating that key sequence?

What happens when you start xev and then type C-f5 into its window?

* Re: Redefinig keys
@ 2002-12-10 21:00   ` Bernd Schandl
From: Bernd Schandl @ 2002-12-10 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann wrote in message news:<84r8crab9y.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>...
> schandl@gmx.net (Bernd Schandl) writes:
>
> > Also, when I try to use global-set-key interactively and I get to the point
> > where I have to enter the key to define, pressing C-f5 (or any other function
> > key) does not invoke any reaction. Pressing something else (like C-f) works
> > fine?
>
> Maybe your window manager is eating that key sequence?

Ok, that was the problem, thanks a lot!

  Bernd