all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* accented characters in an xterm
@ 2002-12-15 20:52 Dan Hitt
From: Dan Hitt @ 2002-12-15 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

If i want to enter an a with an accent mark over it, i can type
control-x 8 ' a.

Although this always seems to have the same behavior in terms
of what gets in a file---the byte 0x81 followed by the byte 0xe1---
what gets displayed is sensitive to how i'm accessing the xterm.

I'm not sure what the pattern is, but, for example, if i'm connected
via kermit, i just get a question mark displayed.  Or if i'm
connected via ssh to another host, i may just get a question mark.
But on the other hand, i can ssh from host A to B, then from that
session ssh from B to A, then run emacs, and in the double-ssh
environment, get the correct display, but not get the right display
going in a single ssh session.

I have vollowed Peter Wu's <peterwu@hotmail.com> suggestion
(posted in this news group) of trying
   emacs -q --no-site-file
and this doesn't reveal a difference.

There are version differences, but the earliest emacs i'm using is
20.7.1, and i always have the problem when i'm connected through
kermit (independent of version).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dan

* Re: accented characters in an xterm
@ 2002-12-16  6:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-12-16  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 Dec 2002, Dan Hitt wrote:

> If i want to enter an a with an accent mark over it, i can type
> control-x 8 ' a.
>
> Although this always seems to have the same behavior in terms
> of what gets in a file---the byte 0x81 followed by the byte 0xe1---
> what gets displayed is sensitive to how i'm accessing the xterm.
>
> I'm not sure what the pattern is, but, for example, if i'm connected
> via kermit, i just get a question mark displayed.  Or if i'm
> connected via ssh to another host, i may just get a question mark.
> But on the other hand, i can ssh from host A to B, then from that
> session ssh from B to A, then run emacs, and in the double-ssh
> environment, get the correct display, but not get the right display
> going in a single ssh session.

Does it help to say "C-x RET t latin-1 RET"?

* Re: accented characters in an xterm
       [not found] <mailman.236.1040019333.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-16  9:48 ` Dan Hitt
From: Dan Hitt @ 2002-12-16  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eli,

Thanks for your post.  Your solution (C-x RET t latin-1 RET) works
like a chamr for all the ssh cases i have, but it doesn't work
for kermit---although it is an improvement for kermit,
because at least the ? changes to a character (but without
the accent mark).

dan

@ 2002-12-16 14:45   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-16 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

hitt@panix.com (Dan Hitt) writes:

> Thanks for your post.  Your solution (C-x RET t latin-1 RET) works
> like a chamr for all the ssh cases i have, but it doesn't work
> for kermit---although it is an improvement for kermit,
> because at least the ? changes to a character (but without
> the accent mark).

Create a short file with accented characters in it.  Then log in to a
host with kermit and then do "cat foo" where foo is the name of the
file with accented characters.  Do you see the accents okay in that case?

* Re: accented characters in an xterm
@ 2002-12-17  9:21     ` Dan Hitt
From: Dan Hitt @ 2002-12-17  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Kai,

Thanks for posting that sensible diagnostic, to create a file with
accented characters under ssh, then cat the file under kermit.

So, under ssh, i used the C-x 8 method for input, and
C-x RET t latin-1 RET to set the terminal display coding system,
per Eli.  Then, in a separate session under kermit, i catted the file.

Catting under kermit does not show the accents properly, but
it does correspond exactly to what emacs under kermit shows
when i set the terminal display coding system to latin-1.

So i suppose this makes it purely a matter of persuading
kermit to display certain characters more transparently?

dan

@ 2002-12-17 10:56       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-17 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

hitt@panix.com (Dan Hitt) writes:

> Thanks for posting that sensible diagnostic, to create a file with
> accented characters under ssh, then cat the file under kermit.
>
> So, under ssh, i used the C-x 8 method for input, and
> C-x RET t latin-1 RET to set the terminal display coding system,
> per Eli.  Then, in a separate session under kermit, i catted the file.
>
> Catting under kermit does not show the accents properly, but
> it does correspond exactly to what emacs under kermit shows
> when i set the terminal display coding system to latin-1.
>
> So i suppose this makes it purely a matter of persuading
> kermit to display certain characters more transparently?

Well, err.  It would have been even better if you could have created a
local file that also displays correctly (with Emacs and with cat),
then transfer it to the remote end (gzipped, perhaps, to make sure
it's not corrupted), then cat it there.

But yes, it appears that the problem is with Kermit.

Kermit has almost as many variables to tweak as Emacs, so maybe one of
them does the trick.