all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C Mode Comments
@ 2002-12-19 14:37 Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2002-12-19 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know if there is a command to mark a comment, or kill a
comment in c-mode?

Thanks much.

* Re: C Mode Comments
       [not found] <mailman.416.1040309869.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-19 22:22 ` Zero Void
From: Zero Void @ 2002-12-19 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:

> Does anyone know if there is a command to mark a comment, or kill a
> comment in c-mode?

Did you mean "comment-region" and "uncomment-region" commands?

--
All men know the utility of useful things;
but they do not know the utility of futility.

* Re: C Mode Comments
       [not found] <qlcy96m58g4.fsf@nymfe33.fi.muni.cz>
@ 2002-12-30 13:57 ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2002-12-30 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am running GNU Emacs 20.2.3.  M-; does not run comment-dwim, but runs
indent-for-comment.

What I am looking for is a command that would have the effect of killing
an entire comment.  For example, given:

int x;      /* this is a comment */

Only "int x;" would remain on this line of code.

Thanks.

On 19 Dec 2002, Jiri Pejchal wrote:

> Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:
>
> > Does anyone know if there is a command to mark a comment, or kill a
> > comment in c-mode?
> >
> > Thanks much.
>
> Try M-; which runs the command comment-dwim.
>
> Mark a region (with M-h or whatever) then M-;
> to comment region.
>
> Do the same one more time to uncomment the region.
>
> Call the comment command you want (Do What I Mean).
> If the region is active and `transient-mark-mode' is on, call
>   `comment-region' (unless it only consists of comments, in which
>   case it calls `uncomment-region').
> Else, if the current line is empty, insert a comment and indent it.
> Else if a prefix ARG is specified, call `comment-kill'.
> Else, call `comment-indent'.
>
> Jiri Pejchal

* Re: C Mode Comments
       [not found] <mailman.705.1041256662.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-30 16:35 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-30 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:

> I am running GNU Emacs 20.2.3.  M-; does not run comment-dwim, but runs
> indent-for-comment.
>
> What I am looking for is a command that would have the effect of killing
> an entire comment.  For example, given:
>
> int x;      /* this is a comment */
>
> Only "int x;" would remain on this line of code.

It might work to say C-u M-;.

You could try to search for a file newcomment.el, it might have been
posted to gnu.emacs.sources and this version might work with your
Emacs.  Or it might not.  Maybe it's easier to just upgrade your
Emacs.  This is very easy to do, if you have enough space in your
home dir, say.
--
Ambibibentists unite!