all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* .bbdb become binary??
@ 2003-04-09  7:46 Shao Zhang
From: Shao Zhang @ 2003-04-09  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I upgraded to emacs 21.3 today, recompiled bbdb and gnus along with it.
But all of sudden, I found my .bbdb became a binary file.

Has anybody else had similar problem?

Shao.

* Re: .bbdb become binary??
@ 2003-04-09 14:01 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-09 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shao Zhang <shaoz@activesky.com> writes:

> I upgraded to emacs 21.3 today, recompiled bbdb and gnus along with it.
> But all of sudden, I found my .bbdb became a binary file.

Whee.  Maybe you could C-x C-f the file and see what's wrong in
there.  Maybe you can guess the encoding of the file?

BBDB 2.35 has a variable bbdb-file-coding-system which needs to have
the right value, matching the encoding of the file.

* Re: .bbdb become binary (mule related?)
@ 2003-04-10  1:47   ` Shao Zhang
From: Shao Zhang @ 2003-04-10  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On [Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:01:08 +0200], kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>> I upgraded to emacs 21.3 today, recompiled bbdb and gnus along with it.
>> But all of sudden, I found my .bbdb became a binary file.
>
> Whee.  Maybe you could C-x C-f the file and see what's wrong in
> there.  Maybe you can guess the encoding of the file?

Here it is:
/tmp/oldbbdb: Little-endian UTF-16 Unicode character data

Maybe some of the name entries contain the international characters made
this happen? I also notice this has happened a long time ago, coz my cvs
controlled .bbdb is in binary in the recent versions.

But now I cannot start gnus with this binary .bbdb, bbdb complains
the file-version is not found, and is used by gnus's spam-split.

Could it be a problem of mule-ucs? My mule package failed to compile
since I upgraded to emacs21.3. The error is:

UCS-0.84/lisp/un-define.el:
  ** reference to free variable progn
  ** The following functions are not known to be defined: find-charset,
    w32-regist-font-encoder
Wrote /usr/ports/converters/mule-ucs/work/Mule-UCS-0.84/lisp/un-define.elc
While compiling toplevel forms in file /usr/ports/converters/mule-ucs/work/Mule-UCS-0.84/lisp/un-supple.el:
  !! Symbol's value as variable is void ((progn))

> BBDB 2.35 has a variable bbdb-file-coding-system which needs to have
> the right value, matching the encoding of the file.

I am only using 2.34 which is from the most recent FreeBSD port :(

Regards,

Shao.

* Re: .bbdb become binary (mule related?)
@ 2003-04-10 12:08     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-10 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shao Zhang <shao@cia.com.au> writes:

> On [Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:01:08 +0200], kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>
>> BBDB 2.35 has a variable bbdb-file-coding-system which needs to have
>> the right value, matching the encoding of the file.
>
> I am only using 2.34 which is from the most recent FreeBSD port :(

Maybe it has that variable, too?

You might also try to invoke the GNU recode program to convert the
file from UTF-16 little endian to something you normally use
(GB2312? Big5?).
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: .bbdb become binary??
@ 2003-04-10 14:48   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-04-10 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 09 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> BBDB 2.35 has a variable bbdb-file-coding-system which needs to have
> the right value, matching the encoding of the file.

If I understood the mails on the bbdb-list correctly, users shouldn't
change `bbdb-file-coding-system'.

See:

Bye, Reiner.
--