all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* QUESTION ABOUT: shared parts of .emacs on server and cached local copy.
@ 2003-08-27 18:18 Sandip Chitale
From: Sandip Chitale @ 2003-08-27 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to maintain some shared parts of my .emacs file (to be used
from all my work computers and computer at home as well). I can put it
on some server. All that is fine. However sometimes I may not be
connected to the server. In that case, a cached copy (on local
computer) of my shared .emacs file should be used.
The cached copy should be updated if it is out of date, possible after
my confirmation.

Has anybody set up anything like this? Is there already a well known
mechanism
or a package for that?

thanks,
sandip

* Re: QUESTION ABOUT: shared parts of .emacs on server and cached local copy.
@ 2003-08-27 20:29 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-27 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

sandipchitale@yahoo.com (Sandip Chitale) writes:

> I want to maintain some shared parts of my .emacs file (to be used
> from all my work computers and computer at home as well). I can put it
> on some server. All that is fine. However sometimes I may not be
> connected to the server. In that case, a cached copy (on local
> computer) of my shared .emacs file should be used.
> The cached copy should be updated if it is out of date, possible after
> my confirmation.

I use CVS for this.  It requires me to "update the cache" manually,
but I don't mind.
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.