all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customize question
@ 2002-12-20 15:10 Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2002-12-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to reuse a customized variable (which is not autoloaded) from
another package in my code.  Is there a way to do that other than
(require 'otherpackage) ?

(In particular, I was thinking of declaring the same variable myself,
either in my group or in the group of the other package.  What would
be the effect of that, and can it be depended on?)

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
if (sizeof(signed) > sizeof(unsigned) + 4) { delete this; }

* Re: customize question
@ 2002-12-20 17:50 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-12-20 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> I'd like to reuse a customized variable (which is not autoloaded) from
> another package in my code.  Is there a way to do that other than
> (require 'otherpackage) ?

Not that I know of.  But you might be able to get away with wrapping that in
eval-when-compile.

> (In particular, I was thinking of declaring the same variable myself,
> either in my group or in the group of the other package.  What would
> be the effect of that, and can it be depended on?)

I don't know.  Why don't you declare your own variable and have it default to
the value of the other variable: (defvar foo-var bar-var).

--

* Re: customize question
@ 2002-12-20 19:22 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-20 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> writes:

> I'd like to reuse a customized variable (which is not autoloaded) from
> another package in my code.  Is there a way to do that other than
> (require 'otherpackage) ?

You could autoload it.

> (In particular, I was thinking of declaring the same variable myself,
> either in my group or in the group of the other package.  What would
> be the effect of that, and can it be depended on?)

Oh, no.  Better don't do that.  I think it's not a good idea to change
the custom spec of a variable.  And if you do, load order determines
who wins.

How about just requiring the package and adding the variable to your
own custom group?  I believe that defgroup allows you to list some
variables which are to be in that group.

* customize question
@ 2006-11-07 17:10 Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2006-11-07 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

    I'm afraid this might be more of an emacs question than an orgmode
specific question.  I'm trying to move my org-mode config out of my
.emacs as much as possible and into something a little more
compartmentalized.  I had tried to do as much as I could with #+, but
they can only go some far, and for security reasons, I think that is
probably good.

    Right now, my thinking is to have a lisp file that I can call from
.emacs to set everything I need for orgmode.  I'll have the org file
listed in a file instead of having it maintained in the .emacs.  I
won't have to keep common sections in the org files with file specific
configurations and I could even define dynamic blocks and hooks in my
configuration.  From the one lisp file I could get references to
any/all of the other files I would need to look at to copy, move or
back up my org setup.  I could also put non-org but project related
configurations in there like macros for inserting blank project forms.

    My question is, can I just move the settings from
(custom-set-variables ...) out into a separate file without
consequences?  I know I wouldn't be able to use custom the same way,
but I think I'd still prefer having it separate over having the
interface to change things.  I just didn't know if there was something
else magical about the variables maintained by custom.  If there is a
better answer, feel free to say so or point me at something to read on
the topic.

Thanks,
Edd