all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-07-26 19:44 Auré
From: Auré @ 2003-07-26 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I did a mistake with emacs but I don't know whiwh one !!! When I'm
typing with my keyboard, I can't use letter as é,è,ù,... all the
letters with accents. In place of the letter, a number like \350 or
\251 appear on my display. It's a problem of keyborad input or encoder
but I don't know how to resolve it. I'm writing in french with a
azerty keyboard but I don't know how to configure him under emacs.

When I use another editors like xemacs, I can write as usual and, open
and save files. But when I open this file with emacs, it's not the
same things, the special letter are replaced by number.

Could be someone help me please !!!

Thanks you very much in advance.

Mister T

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-07-27  9:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-07-27  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

s981334@student.ulg.ac.be (Auré) writes:

> I did a mistake with emacs but I don't know whiwh one !!! When I'm
> typing with my keyboard, I can't use letter as é,è,ù,... all the
> letters with accents. In place of the letter, a number like \350 or
> \251 appear on my display. It's a problem of keyborad input or encoder
> but I don't know how to resolve it. I'm writing in french with a
> azerty keyboard but I don't know how to configure him under emacs.

You say you made a mistake.  Does it mean it worked at first and now
it does not work any more?  What changed?

Or do you mean it never worked?

Which system are you using?  Are you running Emacs under X11 or on
the console?  Which Emacs version do you have?
--
~/.signature

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-07-28 15:39   ` Auré
From: Auré @ 2003-07-28 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<84smosgwbk.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> s981334@student.ulg.ac.be (Auré) writes:
>
> > I did a mistake with emacs but I don't know whiwh one !!! When I'm
> > typing with my keyboard, I can't use letter as é,è,ù,... all the
> > letters with accents. In place of the letter, a number like \350 or
> > \251 appear on my display. It's a problem of keyborad input or encoder
> > but I don't know how to resolve it. I'm writing in french with a
> > azerty keyboard but I don't know how to configure him under emacs.
>
> You say you made a mistake.  Does it mean it worked at first and now
> it does not work any more?  What changed?
>
> Or do you mean it never worked?
>
> Which system are you using?  Are you running Emacs under X11 or on
> the console?  Which Emacs version do you have?

Hello,

Thanks for your help.
I'm using Red hat 8 with the last version of emacs, GNU Emacs 21.2.1,
under X11. The editor works very fine before I did this mistake : no
problem with accent letters.

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-07-28 17:09     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-07-28 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

s981334@student.ulg.ac.be (Auré) writes:

> I'm using Red hat 8 with the last version of emacs, GNU Emacs 21.2.1,
> under X11. The editor works very fine before I did this mistake : no
> problem with accent letters.

Well, what was that mistake?

Does it work if you start Emacs as "emacs -q -no-site-file"?
--
~/.signature

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-07-28 22:57       ` Auré
From: Auré @ 2003-07-28 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<84aday8tor.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...

No, it doesn't work. But I observe thinks thant I never seen before
(not with your command but in general) : When I create a new file and
begin to type, it's ok, accent appears ; à, é, è, ù ... In fact,
there's only a problem with a file (in tex format), not the others
files (every format). Below a part of my file :

"Afin d'obtenir $M$, observons que les \351quations du m\352me type
que ...."

The right sentence would be :

"Afin d'obtenir $M$, observons que les équations du même type que
...."

Thanks you

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-07-30 16:51         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-07-30 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

s981334@student.ulg.ac.be (Auré) writes:

> No, it doesn't work. But I observe thinks thant I never seen before
> (not with your command but in general) : When I create a new file and
> begin to type, it's ok, accent appears ; à, é, è, ù ... In fact,
> there's only a problem with a file (in tex format), not the others
> files (every format).

Hm, so new files come out right, but in *.tex files you have
problems.  Hm.  Strange.

Does it also happen for new .tex files that you create yourself?

Do you normally use Latin-1 encoding?  Or Latin-9?  Whichever it is,
maybe it helps to say C-x RET f latin-1 RET C-x C-s in the file
that's causing you trouble.  Then Emacs ought to tell you if it finds
characters that can't be represented in latin-1.  If there are any,
you can delete them or change them, and then try again.

--
~/.signature

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-08-01 15:38           ` Auré
From: Auré @ 2003-08-01 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<84adaw556r.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> s981334@student.ulg.ac.be (Auré) writes:
>
> > No, it doesn't work. But I observe thinks thant I never seen before
> > (not with your command but in general) : When I create a new file and
> > begin to type, it's ok, accent appears ; à, é, è, ù ... In fact,
> > there's only a problem with a file (in tex format), not the others
> > files (every format).
>
> Hm, so new files come out right, but in *.tex files you have
> problems.  Hm.  Strange.
>
> Does it also happen for new .tex files that you create yourself?
>
> Do you normally use Latin-1 encoding?  Or Latin-9?  Whichever it is,
> maybe it helps to say C-x RET f latin-1 RET C-x C-s in the file
> that's causing you trouble.  Then Emacs ought to tell you if it finds
> characters that can't be represented in latin-1.  If there are any,
> you can delete them or change them, and then try again.

As you say, it's very strange !!!

It's only with this .tex file not with the other, new or old. I tried
you advice but it's seems like nothing change. I think that's the good
way because it's possible that's I do the commande C-x RET f +
something false in place of C-x C-f to open a new file. I post you a
part of my file to try if you observe the same effects. Thanks you in
advance

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-08-01 15:54           ` Auré
From: Auré @ 2003-08-01 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I try to copy a part of my file, it's seems that problems
disappear in the new file??!!!

If I erase a part of my file an save on the same name, problems
desappears too?!!!

But when I copy all the file to the new file, problems comes back
?????!!!!!!

:-(

It's very strange like emacs knowed when the file is complete and in
tex format or not??????? Have you an idea?

Would you like I post you all the file? I'm not sure it's very usefeul
because I say that's with xemacs there's no problem. So, on you
computer, It's would be the same things that under xemacs.

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-08-01 20:44             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-01 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

s981334@student.ulg.ac.be (Auré) writes:

> It's only with this .tex file not with the other, new or old. I tried
> you advice but it's seems like nothing change. I think that's the good
> way because it's possible that's I do the commande C-x RET f +
> something false in place of C-x C-f to open a new file. I post you a
> part of my file to try if you observe the same effects. Thanks you in
> advance

Yes, I'm guessing that there is an invalid character in it.  Please
do this:

C-x C-f /the/file.tex RET
C-x RET f latin-1 RET
C-x C-s

What happens when you do this?  It should either report some error,
or it should produce a file that works well.
--
~/.signature

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-08-01 20:45             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-01 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

s981334@student.ulg.ac.be (Auré) writes:

> When I try to copy a part of my file, it's seems that problems
> disappear in the new file??!!!
>
> If I erase a part of my file an save on the same name, problems
> desappears too?!!!
>
> But when I copy all the file to the new file, problems comes back
> ?????!!!!!!
>
> :-(
>
> It's very strange like emacs knowed when the file is complete and in
> tex format or not??????? Have you an idea?
>
> Would you like I post you all the file? I'm not sure it's very usefeul
> because I say that's with xemacs there's no problem. So, on you
> computer, It's would be the same things that under xemacs.

Here is another idea: Use M-% to replace octal escapes with the
corresponding real characters.  Use copy and paste to put the octal
escapes into the M-% prompt.

Then there should be just a few octal escapes left that can show you
where the problem is.
--
~/.signature

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-08-02  8:55               ` Auré
From: Auré @ 2003-08-02  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<84ptjpksy3.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> s981334@student.ulg.ac.be (Auré) writes:
>
> > When I try to copy a part of my file, it's seems that problems
> > disappear in the new file??!!!
> >
> > If I erase a part of my file an save on the same name, problems
> > desappears too?!!!
> >
> > But when I copy all the file to the new file, problems comes back
> > ?????!!!!!!
> >
> > :-(
> >
> > It's very strange like emacs knowed when the file is complete and in
> > tex format or not??????? Have you an idea?
> >
> > Would you like I post you all the file? I'm not sure it's very usefeul
> > because I say that's with xemacs there's no problem. So, on you
> > computer, It's would be the same things that under xemacs.
>
> Here is another idea: Use M-% to replace octal escapes with the
> corresponding real characters.  Use copy and paste to put the octal
> escapes into the M-% prompt.
>
> Then there should be just a few octal escapes left that can show you
> where the problem is.

It's seems that it doesn't work to replace the octal number with the
right character because when I'm typing the new one, it's still the
octal number that's appears.

But I think I found the problem but I don't known how to change it.
It's in the coding system :

Coding system for saving this buffer:
  1 -- latin-1 (alias of iso-latin-1)
Default coding system (for new files):
  1 -- iso-latin-1 (alias: iso-8859-1 latin-1)
Coding system for keyboard input:
  u -- utf-8 (alias of mule-utf-8)
Coding system for terminal output:
  u -- utf-8 (alias of mule-utf-8)
Defaults for subprocess I/O:
  decoding: 1 -- iso-latin-1 (alias: iso-8859-1 latin-1)
  encoding: 1 -- iso-latin-1 (alias: iso-8859-1 latin-1)

Coding system for keybord input and terminal output would be latin-1 ?
How to change this ?

I think it's the right solution because, as I told you, using my file
in another editor like xemacs or gedit don't create problems.

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-08-02  9:19               ` Auré
From: Auré @ 2003-08-02  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I try the command C-x RET c latin-1 RET C-x C-f /myfile.tex

and.... it works !!!!

But when I want to save, emacs asks me the codings system to this
operation. I let  the default coding system (utf-8) but I don't know
if it's the right one?

When I close the buffer and open it after with C-x C-f /myfile.tex,
problems comes back !!! How must I do to keep the previous coding
system everytime?

* Re: problem with keyboard input
@ 2003-08-02 21:04                 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-02 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

s981334@student.ulg.ac.be (Auré) writes:

> I try the command C-x RET c latin-1 RET C-x C-f /myfile.tex
>
> and.... it works !!!!
>
> But when I want to save, emacs asks me the codings system to this
> operation. I let  the default coding system (utf-8) but I don't know
> if it's the right one?

Doesn't it also tell you which character causes this question?  I
thought it would say something like "the following characters can't be
represented in the latin-1 coding system, please choose a safe
encoding".  And then it should show you a list of problematic
characters.

How about searching for those in the buffer?

To reproduce the problem, you can type M-x view-hello-file RET and
then copy-and-paste some non-latin-1 stuff into a previously latin-1
file, then try to save it.  Then the same thing should happen.

Does this in fact happen?
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.