all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* file name as argument in the command line
@ 2007-08-31 18:17 Daniel C. Bastos
From: Daniel C. Bastos @ 2007-08-31 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

%emacs --version
GNU Emacs 22.1.50.2

I recently installed this one from the CVS repository. Now when I run

%emacs file

I get the buffer *GNU Emacs* that looks like

Welcome to GNU Emacs, a part of the GNU operating system.

Get help           <help>
Emacs manual       <help> r     Browse manuals     <help> i
Emacs tutorial     <help> t     Undo changes       C-x u
Buy manuals        <help> RET   Exit Emacs         C-x C-c
Activate menubar     M-`

(...)

How can I convince emacs to not display this help buffer? The node
``Emacs Invocation'' says that

``The last file name on your command line becomes the current buffer;''

but doesn't seem to be true.

* Re: file name as argument in the command line
@ 2007-08-31 18:26 ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2007-08-31 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-08-31, Daniel C. Bastos <dbast0s@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> %emacs --version
> GNU Emacs 22.1.50.2
>
> I recently installed this one from the CVS repository. Now when I run
>
> %emacs file
>
> I get the buffer *GNU Emacs* that looks like
>
> Welcome to GNU Emacs, a part of the GNU operating system.
>
> Get help           <help>
> Emacs manual       <help> r     Browse manuals     <help> i
> Emacs tutorial     <help> t     Undo changes       C-x u
> Buy manuals        <help> RET   Exit Emacs         C-x C-c
> Activate menubar     M-`
>
> (...)
>
> How can I convince emacs to not display this help buffer? The node
> ``Emacs Invocation'' says that
>
> ``The last file name on your command line becomes the current buffer;''
>
> but doesn't seem to be true.
Look up splash-screen in the news file for your version. If you do
anything the desired buffer will appear. See also the variable
inhibit-splash-screen.
--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: file name as argument in the command line
@ 2007-08-31 18:57   ` Daniel C. Bastos
From: Daniel C. Bastos @ 2007-08-31 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Maarten Bergvelt <bergv@math.uiuc.edu> writes:

> On 2007-08-31, Daniel C. Bastos <dbast0s@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
>> %emacs --version
>> GNU Emacs 22.1.50.2
>>
>> I recently installed this one from the CVS repository. Now when I run
>>
>> %emacs file
>>
>> I get the buffer *GNU Emacs* that looks like
>>
>> Welcome to GNU Emacs, a part of the GNU operating system.
>>
>> Get help           <help>
>> Emacs manual       <help> r     Browse manuals     <help> i
>> Emacs tutorial     <help> t     Undo changes       C-x u
>> Buy manuals        <help> RET   Exit Emacs         C-x C-c
>> Activate menubar     M-`
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> How can I convince emacs to not display this help buffer? The node
>> ``Emacs Invocation'' says that
>>
>> ``The last file name on your command line becomes the current buffer;''
>>
>> but doesn't seem to be true.
>
> Look up splash-screen in the news file for your version. If you do
> anything the desired buffer will appear. See also the variable
> inhibit-splash-screen.

It behaved this way in my previous version, whatever it was. Now I tried
moving the point around, I pressed C-l (I think there was a version
which would kill the splash screen with C-l).

Anyway, I'm good now with inhibit-splash-screen. Thanks.

* Re: file name as argument in the command line
@ 2007-09-01  5:16     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-09-01  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dbast0s@yahoo.com.br (Daniel C. Bastos) writes:

> Subject: Re: file name as argument in the command line
>
> Maarten Bergvelt <bergv@math.uiuc.edu> writes:
>
>> On 2007-08-31, Daniel C. Bastos <dbast0s@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
>>> %emacs --version
>>> GNU Emacs 22.1.50.2
>>>
>>> I recently installed this one from the CVS repository. Now when I run
>>>
>>> %emacs file
>>>
>>> I get the buffer *GNU Emacs* that looks like
>>>
>>> Welcome to GNU Emacs, a part of the GNU operating system.
>>>
>>> Get help           <help>
>>> Emacs manual       <help> r     Browse manuals     <help> i
>>> Emacs tutorial     <help> t     Undo changes       C-x u
>>> Buy manuals        <help> RET   Exit Emacs         C-x C-c
>>> Activate menubar     M-`
>>>
>>> (...)
>>>
>>> How can I convince emacs to not display this help buffer? The node
>>> ``Emacs Invocation'' says that
>>>
>>> ``The last file name on your command line becomes the current buffer;''
>>>
>>> but doesn't seem to be true.
>>
>> Look up splash-screen in the news file for your version. If you do
>> anything the desired buffer will appear. See also the variable
>> inhibit-splash-screen.
>
> It behaved this way in my previous version, whatever it was. Now I tried
> moving the point around, I pressed C-l (I think there was a version
> which would kill the splash screen with C-l).

I observed this with one of the CVS snapshots I retrieved. Unfortunately,
the 'splash' screen in that version didn't go away as soon as you hit any
key - it was a propper buffer that had to be killed to get rid of it.

I noticed something about this in the NEWS file. However, the latest
version of the sources doesn't have this behavior and seems to have gone
back to the old expected behavior. I don't know if this was just an error
in one of the CVS versions that has been fixed or a new 'feature', that was
subsequently removed.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: file name as argument in the command line
@ 2007-09-02  3:58       ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-09-02  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> dbast0s@yahoo.com.br (Daniel C. Bastos) writes:
>
>> Subject: Re: file name as argument in the command line
>>
>> Maarten Bergvelt <bergv@math.uiuc.edu> writes:

>>> Look up splash-screen in the news file for your version. If you do
>>> anything the desired buffer will appear. See also the variable
>>> inhibit-splash-screen.
>>
>> It behaved this way in my previous version, whatever it was. Now I tried
>> moving the point around, I pressed C-l (I think there was a version
>> which would kill the splash screen with C-l).
>>

> I observed this with one of the CVS snapshots I retrieved. Unfortunately,
> the 'splash' screen in that version didn't go away as soon as you hit any
> key - it was a propper buffer that had to be killed to get rid of it.
>
> I noticed something about this in the NEWS file. However, the latest
> version of the sources doesn't have this behavior and seems to have gone
> back to the old expected behavior. I don't know if this was just an error
> in one of the CVS versions that has been fixed or a new 'feature', that was
> subsequently removed.

I have to correct myself - I was wrong, that behavior of the splash screen
staying in place and not going away as soon as you hit a key is still in
place with current CVS version of emacs. However, it looks like this
behavior can be customized.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au