all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* preparing colored text
@ 2003-04-02 17:42 Jonathan Epstein
From: Jonathan Epstein @ 2003-04-02 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've read a lot about faces over the years, but there's something that
I just don't get: how do I prepare some text which is colored in a
specific way?

E.g., suppose I have the following text in my Emacs buffer (say, the
*Scratch* buffer):
  Here is some sample text colored in different ways

How can I make "Here is" red, "some sample" blue, "text" green,
"colored in" red, and "different ways" blue ?

The specific colors aren't important; an example using commonly
available faces such as:
font-lock-comment-face
font-lock-keyword-face
font-lock-warning-face

would be fine too.

Oh, I'm sort of wedded to Emacs 20 (I use 20.6.1), if there's an Emacs
20-compatible solution, that would be great.  Solutions that only work
on MS Windows would be OK too, although not optimal.

TIA,

Jonathan

* Re: preparing colored text
@ 2003-04-02 18:20 ` Kai Großjohann
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-02 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

jaepstein_63@yahoo.com (Jonathan Epstein) writes:

> I've read a lot about faces over the years, but there's something that
> I just don't get: how do I prepare some text which is colored in a
> specific way?

Do you mean you want a mode where all occurrences of the word frumple
are in a specific color, or do you want something where you can point
at a word and say "make this blue"?

If the latter, investigate M-x enriched-mode RET.  And the M-g key.
(And C-<down-mouse-2>.)

* Re: preparing colored text
@ 2003-04-02 19:10 ` Kevin Rodgers
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-04-02 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathan Epstein wrote:

> I've read a lot about faces over the years, but there's something that
> I just don't get: how do I prepare some text which is colored in a
> specific way?
>
> E.g., suppose I have the following text in my Emacs buffer (say, the
> *Scratch* buffer):
>   Here is some sample text colored in different ways
>
> How can I make "Here is" red, "some sample" blue, "text" green,
> "colored in" red, and "different ways" blue ?
>
> The specific colors aren't important; an example using commonly
> available faces such as:
> font-lock-comment-face
> font-lock-keyword-face
> font-lock-warning-face
>
> would be fine too.

Global Bindings Starting With M-g:
key             binding
---             -------

M-g d		facemenu-set-default
M-g b		facemenu-set-bold
M-g i		facemenu-set-italic
M-g l		facemenu-set-bold-italic
M-g u		facemenu-set-underline
M-g o		facemenu-set-face

And see the "Formatted Text" and "Format Colors" nodes of the Emacs manual.

--

* Re: preparing colored text
@ 2003-04-02 19:18 ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-04-02 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

jaepstein_63@yahoo.com (Jonathan Epstein) writes:

> I've read a lot about faces over the years, but there's something that
> I just don't get: how do I prepare some text which is colored in a
> specific way?
>
> E.g., suppose I have the following text in my Emacs buffer (say, the
> *Scratch* buffer):
>   Here is some sample text colored in different ways
>
> How can I make "Here is" red, "some sample" blue, "text" green,
> "colored in" red, and "different ways" blue ?

If your version of emacs has it, you should probably try enriched-mode.

M-x enriched mode

Then select the text you want to be red.

Then from the menu go in Edit -> Text Properties -> Foreground Color

and enter red.

Repeat for all other colors.

Hope that helps,
Bijan

* Re: preparing colored text
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-04-03  6:59 ` Colin Marquardt
From: Colin Marquardt @ 2003-04-03  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

jaepstein_63@yahoo.com (Jonathan Epstein) writes:

> I've read a lot about faces over the years, but there's something that
> I just don't get: how do I prepare some text which is colored in a
> specific way?

Take a look at
  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CategoryFaces

enriched-mode has been mentioned, but maybe you want something like
  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HighlightTemporarily

HTH,
  Colin

* Re: preparing colored text
@ 2003-04-03 13:37   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-03 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

jaepstein_63@yahoo.com (Jonathan Epstein) writes:

>  (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*ColorExample*"
>       (save-excursion
> 	(set-buffer standard-output)
> 	(setq truncate-lines t)
> 	(insert "here is some sample red text, green text, and flowery blue
> prose")
> 	(put-text-property 20 29 'face 'font-lock-warning-face)
> 	(put-text-property 31 42 'face 'font-lock-type-face)
> 	(put-text-property 47 65 'face 'font-lock-function-name-face)
> 	))

(insert (propertize "warning" 'face 'font-lock-warning-face))

... easier to maintain in case the strings change :-)

* Re: preparing colored text
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-04-03 14:17 ` Jonathan Epstein
From: Jonathan Epstein @ 2003-04-03 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for all the responses ... sorry if I was unclear.  I meant
doing this under program control.  Here's what I came up with
(copy-hack from faces.el) ... thanks again.

Jonathan

jaepstein_63@yahoo.com (Jonathan Epstein) wrote in message news:<27e4d2e8.0304020942.52ae37ad@posting.google.com>...
> I've read a lot about faces over the years, but there's something that
> I just don't get: how do I prepare some text which is colored in a
> specific way?
>
> E.g., suppose I have the following text in my Emacs buffer (say, the
> *Scratch* buffer):
>   Here is some sample text colored in different ways
>
> How can I make "Here is" red, "some sample" blue, "text" green,
> "colored in" red, and "different ways" blue ?
>
> The specific colors aren't important; an example using commonly
> available faces such as:
> font-lock-comment-face
> font-lock-keyword-face
> font-lock-warning-face
>
> would be fine too.
>
> Oh, I'm sort of wedded to Emacs 20 (I use 20.6.1), if there's an Emacs
> 20-compatible solution, that would be great.  Solutions that only work
> on MS Windows would be OK too, although not optimal.
>
> TIA,
>
> Jonathan

* Re: preparing colored text
@ 2003-04-03 16:52     ` Matthew Kennedy
From: Matthew Kennedy @ 2003-04-03 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> (insert (propertize "warning" 'face 'font-lock-warning-face))
>
> ... easier to maintain in case the strings change :-)

Kai, this was my first attempt also. I copied this example into
*scratch* and evaluated it, it appears to just insert "warning"
without changing any text properties.

I ran M-: (get-text-property (point) 'face) with the point on the
inserted warning text. That expression returns nil. I'm confused
(like always)...

BTW, where'd you find Oort 0.18? :D

Matt

--
Matthew Kennedy

* Re: preparing colored text
@ 2003-04-03 18:05       ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-04-03 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Kennedy <mbkennedy@austin.rr.com> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>

>> (insert (propertize "warning" 'face 'font-lock-warning-face))
>>
>> ... easier to maintain in case the strings change :-)
>>

> Kai, this was my first attempt also. I copied this example into
> *scratch* and evaluated it, it appears to just insert "warning"
> without changing any text properties.
[...]

Probably you have font-lock turned on. It removes all "foreign" text
properties. Try it in a buffer without font-lock, for example in
text-mode.

In CVS Emacs you can use something like this

(insert (propertize "lirum larum" 'font-lock-face
		    'font-lock-warning-face))

even in buffers with font-lock.

    Oliver
--
14 Germinal an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: preparing colored text
@ 2003-04-03 18:27         ` Matthew Kennedy
From: Matthew Kennedy @ 2003-04-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:

> Probably you have font-lock turned on. It removes all "foreign" text
> properties. Try it in a buffer without font-lock, for example in
> text-mode.
>
> In CVS Emacs you can use something like this
>
> (insert (propertize "lirum larum" 'font-lock-face
> 		    'font-lock-warning-face))

Ahhh... that was it! Thanks,

Matt
--
Matthew Kennedy

* Re: preparing colored text
@ 2003-04-04  7:00       ` Lee Sau Dan
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2003-04-04  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Matthew> Kai, this was my first attempt also. I copied this
    Matthew> example into *scratch* and evaluated it, it appears to
    Matthew> just insert "warning" without changing any text
    Matthew> properties.

Did you disable font-lock-mode in *scratch* before trying it out?

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

* Re: preparing colored text