all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why does texinfo-make-menu append trailing whitespace?
@ 2003-05-12 12:56 Alan Mackenzie
       [not found] ` <mailman.6151.1052879746.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2003-05-12 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs 21.1.

I'm updating a file.texi using Texinfo-mode.  When I do C-c C-u <ret> to
update a menu, the resulting menu has trailing spaces after each item.
There wasn't any such trailing spaces beforehand.

I don't like this.  Is it a bug, or is there some reason for this
trailing space?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: Why does texinfo-make-menu append trailing whitespace?
@ 2003-05-14  2:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.6151.1052879746.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-14  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:56:54 +0000
>
> I'm updating a file.texi using Texinfo-mode.  When I do C-c C-u <ret> to
> update a menu, the resulting menu has trailing spaces after each item.
> There wasn't any such trailing spaces beforehand.

Define ``beforehand''.  Are you saying that a previous version of
Emacs (which one?) didn't insert those spaces?

> I don't like this.  Is it a bug, or is there some reason for this
> trailing space?

It's a kind of a feature: Emacs assumes that you will wish to add
some text to each menu item, and inserts those spaces to align the
beginning of that text.

You can use delete-trailing-whitespace to remove easily it if you
don't want it.

@ 2003-05-14  8:02   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2003-05-14  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote on Wed, 14 May 2003 05:30:38 +0300:
>> From: Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid>
>> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>> Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:56:54 +0000

>> I'm updating a file.texi using Texinfo-mode.  When I do C-c C-u <ret> to
>> update a menu, the resulting menu has trailing spaces after each item.
>> There wasn't any such trailing spaces beforehand.

> Define ``beforehand''.  Are you saying that a previous version of
> Emacs (which one?) didn't insert those spaces?

Sorry.  I meant the menu didn't have the trailing spaces before I did C-c
C-u <ret>.

>> I don't like this.  Is it a bug, or is there some reason for this
>> trailing space?

> It's a kind of a feature: Emacs assumes that you will wish to add
> some text to each menu item, and inserts those spaces to align the
> beginning of that text.

Ah!  Right!  I understand now.

Perhaps Texinfo mode should put the spaces in when it appends the text,
rather than when it creates the menu item.

> You can use delete-trailing-whitespace to remove easily it if you
> don't want it.

Indeed.  That is what I will do.

Many thanks, Eli.

--

@ 2003-05-15  8:38     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-15  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> writes:

> Perhaps Texinfo mode should put the spaces in when it appends the text,
> rather than when it creates the menu item.

It can't.  It does not append text.  It just puts the spaces there so
that YOU can append text.

--
This line is not blank.