all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* where is a function defined
@ 2002-12-31 19:16 Z. Huang
From: Z. Huang @ 2002-12-31 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

  load-path seems to be not I wanted. I have to go to each of the directories
to find a symbol that I need. Is there any simpler way to find the definition
of a function?

* Re: where is a function defined
@ 2002-12-31 19:38 ` Alfred M. Szmidt
       [not found] ` <mailman.766.1041363495.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2002-12-31 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

     load-path seems to be not I wanted. I have to go to each of the
   directories to find a symbol that I need. Is there any simpler way
   to find the definition of a function?

Maybe I misunderstood the question, but what is wrong with using `C-h
C-f' (describe-function)?

@ 2002-12-31 20:30   ` Z. Huang
From: Z. Huang @ 2002-12-31 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> writes:

>      load-path seems to be not I wanted. I have to go to each of the
>    directories to find a symbol that I need. Is there any simpler way
>    to find the definition of a function?
>
> Maybe I misunderstood the question, but what is wrong with using `C-h
> C-f' (describe-function)?

    I need to find the lisp code for a function, not only the
description. Thanks for the response anyway.

* Re: where is a function defined
@ 2002-12-31 20:37     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-12-31 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <yq0cvg1aue1e.fsf@blinky.bloomberg.com>,
Z. Huang <zghuang@bloomberg.net> wrote:
>"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> writes:
>
>>      load-path seems to be not I wanted. I have to go to each of the
>>    directories to find a symbol that I need. Is there any simpler way
>>    to find the definition of a function?
>>
>> Maybe I misunderstood the question, but what is wrong with using `C-h
>> C-f' (describe-function)?
>>

>    I need to find the lisp code for a function, not only the
>description. Thanks for the response anyway.

describe-function's output tells you which file contains the function
definition, e.g.:

do-auto-fill is a compiled Lisp function in `simple'.

This tells you to look in simple.el.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

* Re: where is a function defined
@ 2002-12-31 20:48     ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2002-12-31 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

       I need to find the lisp code for a function, not only the
   description. Thanks for the response anyway.

describe-function shows a "link" to the elisp code for a function.
For example, this is the docstring for describe-function, the link to
the elisp code be be retrived by pressing the `help-fns' link thing.

describe-function is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `help-fns'.
It is bound to C-h f, <menu-bar> <help-menu> <describe> <describe-function>.
(describe-function FUNCTION)

Display the full documentation of FUNCTION (a symbol).

@ 2003-01-01 15:35 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-01 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

zghuang@bloombergREMOVETHISPART.net (Z. Huang) writes:

>   load-path seems to be not I wanted. I have to go to each of the directories
> to find a symbol that I need. Is there any simpler way to find the definition
> of a function?

M-x find-function RET

Does this help?
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: where is a function defined
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-06 20:37 ` Alan Wehmann
From: Alan Wehmann @ 2003-01-06 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

XEmacs has "find-function".  I've forgotten if Emacs has it.  It will
do the path searching for you.

--
Alan Wehmann
wehmann@fnal.gov