all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RSS Aggregator for Gnus 5.8.8?
@ 2003-08-14 17:58 Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2003-08-14 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there an RSS aggregator for Gnus 5.8.8?  I believe there's one in
5.10.2, but I just downloaded it, and it does not seem to be a nice
drop-in replacement for 5.8.8 (it choked on my authinfo file, which
I've been using forever now).  Thanks for any help!

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

         Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
   Gay Media Resource List => http://www.northbound-train.com/gaymedia.html
            Perl for Win32 => http://www.northbound-train.com/perlwin32.html
               Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
          Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
                       Live Free, that's the message!

* Re: RSS Aggregator for Gnus 5.8.8?
@ 2003-08-17 16:56 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-17 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:

> Is there an RSS aggregator for Gnus 5.8.8?  I believe there's one in
> 5.10.2, but I just downloaded it, and it does not seem to be a nice
> drop-in replacement for 5.8.8 (it choked on my authinfo file, which
> I've been using forever now).  Thanks for any help!

What's the problem with the .authinfo file?  I've been using mine for
a long time, too, and I don't have problems with 5.10.
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.

* Re: RSS Aggregator for Gnus 5.8.8?
@ 2003-08-18 23:35   ` Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2003-08-18 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> "Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:
>
>> Is there an RSS aggregator for Gnus 5.8.8?  I believe there's one
>> in 5.10.2, but I just downloaded it, and it does not seem to be a
>> nice drop-in replacement for 5.8.8 (it choked on my authinfo file,
>> which I've been using forever now).  Thanks for any help!
>
> What's the problem with the .authinfo file?  I've been using mine
> for a long time, too, and I don't have problems with 5.10.

There's a bug in nnimp that Reiner posted a fix for, both of which
(the bug & the fix) I found with a Google search.  I'm connecting to
the same server (localhost -- ssh port forwarding) as multiple users,
using nnimap as a foreign server rather than a secondary server.
Something in all of that caused the bug to happen, and the .authinfo
is ignored.  I patched it with the new code and all is well.  I've
successfully upgraded to 5.10.2 and the world is a much safer
place.....thanks!

--

@ 2003-08-20 13:14     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-08-20 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 19 2003, Joe Casadonte wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>> "Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:
[ Gnus 5.10.2 ...]
>>> does not seem to be a nice drop-in replacement for 5.8.8 (it
>>> choked on my authinfo file, which I've been using forever now).
>>
>> What's the problem with the .authinfo file?  I've been using mine
>> for a long time, too, and I don't have problems with 5.10.
>
> There's a bug in nnimp that Reiner posted a fix for, both of which
> (the bug & the fix) I found with a Google search.  I'm connecting to
> the same server (localhost -- ssh port forwarding) as multiple users,
> using nnimap as a foreign server rather than a secondary server.
> Something in all of that caused the bug to happen, and the .authinfo
> is ignored.  I patched it with the new code and all is well.  I've
> successfully upgraded to 5.10.2 and the world is a much safer
> place.....thanks!

Are you saying that you _could_ use ~/.authinfo with the same IMAP
server and with different user names with Gnus 5.8.8?  I can hardly
imagine that, because the code of `nnimap-open-connection' is the same
in 5.8.8 and 5.10.2.

Anyway, I've committed the abovementioned patch to CVS now.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: RSS Aggregator for Gnus 5.8.8?
@ 2003-08-20 18:06       ` Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2003-08-20 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Reiner Steib wrote:

> Are you saying that you _could_ use ~/.authinfo with the same IMAP
> server and with different user names with Gnus 5.8.8?  I can hardly
> imagine that, because the code of `nnimap-open-connection' is the
> same in 5.8.8 and 5.10.2.

Yes, unless I patched it then, too.  But that was more than a year
ago.

Hmmm, what I have in 5.8.8 is slightly different than the pre-patched
version of 5.10.2:

,----[ 5.8.8 ]
`----

,----[ 5.10.2 pre-patch ]
`----

,----[ 5.10.2 post-patch ]
| (alist (or (gnus-netrc-machine list server port "imap")
| 		   (gnus-netrc-machine list
| 							   (or nnimap-server-address
| 								   nnimap-address)
| 							   port "imap")))
`----

It's possible that I could have changed it at some point; I really
don't remember.  It only worked with IMAP as a foreign server, IIRC,
not as a secondary server.

HTH!

--

@ 2003-08-20 22:04         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-08-20 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 20 2003, Joe Casadonte wrote:

> ,----[ 5.8.8 ]
> | (alist (gnus-netrc-machine list (or nnimap-server-address
> | 					server nnimap-address)
> | 			   port "imap"))
> `----

This is from 5.8.8:

(alist (gnus-netrc-machine list (or nnimap-server-address
                                    nnimap-address server)
                           port "imap"))

> It's possible that I could have changed it at some point; I really
> don't remember.

It seems so.

BTW: I'd recommend not to change the Gnus (or Emacs) files directly.
If really necessary, put changes, e.g. here the defun of
`nnimap-open-connection' in your own Lisp file, say my-nnimap.el, and
load it in this way:
(eval-after-load "nnimap" '(load "my-nnimap"))

It's nearly impossible to locate problems, if you (unwittingly) run
your home-brewed version of Emacs.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,