all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cut / insert and kill yank
@ 2003-04-15 13:06 Jason M. LaPenta
From: Jason M. LaPenta @ 2003-04-15 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I would like to start using emacs over xemacs, but first I need to have
cut/paste AND kill/yank. I'm thinking i can do this by binding the
'insert-register' and 'copy-to-register' to the S-insert C-insert keys,
but this isn't working. It would also be nice to have the cursor goto
the end of the inserted text as well

(global-unset-key [C-insert])
(global-unset-key [S-insert])
(global-set-key [C-insert] 'M-x copy-to-register 1)
(global-set-key [S-insert] 'M-x insert-register 1)

also how do you unmark, ie stop marking. withour starting a new mark?

Thanks

* Re: cut / insert and kill yank
@ 2003-04-16 14:45 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-16 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason M. LaPenta" <lapenta@ll.mit.edu> writes:

> I would like to start using emacs over xemacs, but first I need to
> have cut/paste AND kill/yank.

I don't understand what this means.  What is the difference between
cutting and killing, and what's the difference between pasting and
yanking?

> also how do you unmark, ie stop marking. withour starting a new mark?

C-g or ESC ESC ESC.

--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)