all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Per-File Auto fill mode?
@ 2003-04-25 22:46 Linards Ticmanis
From: Linards Ticmanis @ 2003-04-25 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Group,

When I type Greek text (polytonic) for LaTeX into emacs, I use the
following first line to prevent the dumb autoformatting of quote marks
that are used as accent marks for Greek and thus must be retained as
typed in.

% -*- Coding: iso-8859-7; mode: fundamental; -*- %

While I'm at it can I turn on auto-fill in this line too? What do I
have to write? (I don't want it for all files or even all
"fundamental" files though.)

Another thing, in polytonic Greek the first line of a paragraph will
often start with a ">" marking a "soft breathing" mark on the vowel.
However emacs insists that I meant this as a "quoted text" mark and
starts all the other lines in that paragrapg with ">" too
automatically, and I have to delete it all the time which is annoying.
Leaving out the first breathing and then having to remember it at the
end of the paragraph is annoying too. Is there some way to get emacs
to be *really* dumb and insert exactly those characters into the file
that I'm actually typing in, without making (its idea of) educated
guesses?

thanks,

--
Linards Ticmanis