all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x shell gives garbage ...
@ 2003-03-13  4:03 Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2003-03-13  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Gentoo Linux, I installed GNU Emacs 21.3.50 on last night and tried to
M-x shell.

When I switch to that mode and type 'ls', it gives me the output in
garbage. This problem occurs both under text console and Gnome, no matter
what command I type, I get the bargage output. However, I can recognize
some part of the bargage as *useful* information. But, the output is just
unreadable. How to fix this? Thanks.

--
Peter Wu
Powered by Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

* Re: M-x shell gives garbage ...
@ 2003-03-13 11:15 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-13 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:

> When I switch to that mode and type 'ls', it gives me the output in
> garbage.

Maybe it's escape sequences for color?  Try

    ls --color=never

* Re: M-x shell gives garbage ...
@ 2003-03-13 11:18 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-03-13 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peter,

Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> writes:
> When I switch to that mode and type 'ls', it gives me the output in
> garbage.

It's probably the effect of the --color option of GNU ls.  You can
disable that option, it is probably set in some alias overload for
ls.  Or you can enable colors in shell mode with

  (autoload 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on "ansi-color" nil t)
  (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)

Hope this helps, benny