all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Accents in Emacs 20.7.2
@ 2003-06-29 14:30 Apokrif
From: Apokrif @ 2003-06-29 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

To get characters with accents (under Emacs 20.7.2), I type C-x RET k
iso-8859-1-unix (according to newsgroups archives, it should be
iso-8859-15, but it doesn't appear on my completion list). I think I
can add something in .emacs to make this automatically ? I've been
said I should upgrade my Emacs, but that's difficult as I'm not an
administrator on my machine. I already wrote
(standard-display-european t) in .emacs but that isn't sufficient.

--
«Ein Redner verrät oft schon zum voraus seine Absicht durch die Namen,
die er den Sachen gibt.» (Schopenhauer)

* Re: Accents in Emacs 20.7.2
@ 2003-06-30  6:23 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-30  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apokrif <apokrif1@yahoo.com> writes:

> To get characters with accents (under Emacs 20.7.2), I type C-x RET k
> iso-8859-1-unix (according to newsgroups archives, it should be
> iso-8859-15, but it doesn't appear on my completion list). I think I
> can add something in .emacs to make this automatically ? I've been
> said I should upgrade my Emacs, but that's difficult as I'm not an
> administrator on my machine. I already wrote
> (standard-display-european t) in .emacs but that isn't sufficient.

Do not write (standard-display-european t).  This is old stuff and
won't do anything useful these days.

(set-keyboard-coding-system 'iso-8859-1) might do the trick.

Emacs 20.7 is quite old; you might like the new features in Emacs
21.  Emacs 21 also supports Latin-9.

--
~/.signature