all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to make double click select a symbol instead of word in Emacs Lisp mode <EOM>
@ 2003-02-26 16:55 Sandip Chitale
From: Sandip Chitale @ 2003-02-26 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know it may have something to do with syntax table...
but I do not how to do it.

Or is there a custom setting which controls this?

-sandip

* Re: How to make double click select a symbol instead of word in Emacs Lisp mode <EOM>
@ 2003-02-27 15:22 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-27 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

sandipchitale@yahoo.com (Sandip Chitale) writes:

> I know it may have something to do with syntax table...
> but I do not how to do it.

If you double-click on a non-word but symbol-constituent character,
you'll select the symbol instead of the word.  So in Emacs Lisp mode,
double-clicking on the minus will select foo-bar, whereas
double-clicking on the b will select bar only.

* Re: How to make double click select a symbol instead of word in Emacs Lisp mode <EOM>
@ 2003-02-28  2:05   ` Sandip Chitale
From: Sandip Chitale @ 2003-02-28  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message news:<84u1ephho4.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>...
> sandipchitale@yahoo.com (Sandip Chitale) writes:
>
> > I know it may have something to do with syntax table...
> > but I do not how to do it.
>
> If you double-click on a non-word but symbol-constituent character,
> you'll select the symbol instead of the word.  So in Emacs Lisp mode,
> double-clicking on the minus will select foo-bar, whereas
> double-clicking on the b will select bar only.

Thanks for the answer. Actually I noticed that behaviour recently.

It is kind of inconsistent though. I have to be precise with the
mouse which defeats the purpose of double-click to select word
principle. SO my question is is there some way to modify this
behaviour ? Using advise maybe ? I found out that the
defun mouse-skip-word in mouse.el is responsible for the behaviour.

* Re: How to make double click select a symbol instead of word in Emacs Lisp mode <EOM>
@ 2003-02-28 14:49     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-28 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

sandipchitale@yahoo.com (Sandip Chitale) writes:

> It is kind of inconsistent though. I have to be precise with the
> mouse which defeats the purpose of double-click to select word
> principle. SO my question is is there some way to modify this
> behaviour ? Using advise maybe ? I found out that the
> defun mouse-skip-word in mouse.el is responsible for the behaviour.

Yeah, I guess redefining that function will do.