all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-19 18:51 Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-05-19 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any way to make the X11 (Lucid toolkit) GUI of emacs21 look
like that of x11 (Lucid toolkit) of emacs20. I really like the emacs20
look, but would also like to use the features of the newer version.

If this is currently not possible, could someone at least point me in
the right direction as to getting this to work.

Thanks in advance,
Bijan

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-19 20:33 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-05-19 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

> Is there any way to make the X11 (Lucid toolkit) GUI of emacs21 look
> like that of x11 (Lucid toolkit) of emacs20. I really like the
> emacs20 look, but would also like to use the features of the newer
> version.
>
> If this is currently not possible, could someone at least point me
> in the right direction as to getting this to work.

The splash screen tells you how to access the NEWS file where new
features are described as well as how to disable them again.

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-20  4:04   ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-05-20  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:
>
>> Is there any way to make the X11 (Lucid toolkit) GUI of emacs21 look
>> like that of x11 (Lucid toolkit) of emacs20. I really like the
>> emacs20 look, but would also like to use the features of the newer
>> version.
>>
>> If this is currently not possible, could someone at least point me
>> in the right direction as to getting this to work.
>
> The splash screen tells you how to access the NEWS file where new
> features are described as well as how to disable them again.

Thanks David. I have looked through the news file. I didn't manage to
find the answer to my question.  However there are over 4500 lines
about the changes between emacs21 and emacs20 and I may have missed
something.  The closest thing I found was something about how to
change the scrollbar but nothing about how to change the look of the
menu-bar.

If you know anywhere else I should look please let me know.

@ 2003-05-20 12:26 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-20 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

> Is there any way to make the X11 (Lucid toolkit) GUI of emacs21 look
> like that of x11 (Lucid toolkit) of emacs20. I really like the emacs20
> look, but would also like to use the features of the newer version.

Can you make a screenshot or a description that explains better what
is the difference that you're seeing?  Maye highlight the ones that
you're talking about with an arrow or something.  There are a number
of things that might be different between the two versions, and it's
kinda pointless to list many of them here, just to miss the one that
you really need.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-20 16:13   ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-05-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:
>
>> Is there any way to make the X11 (Lucid toolkit) GUI of emacs21 look
>> like that of x11 (Lucid toolkit) of emacs20. I really like the emacs20
>> look, but would also like to use the features of the newer version.
>
> Can you make a screenshot or a description that explains better what
> is the difference that you're seeing?  Maye highlight the ones that
> you're talking about with an arrow or something.  There are a number
> of things that might be different between the two versions, and it's
> kinda pointless to list many of them here, just to miss the one that
> you really need.

Sure. I made four screenshots, two of emacs20 the way I want it to
look, and two of the default look of emacs21. I want emacs21 to look
as much like the emacs20 screenshots as possible. Especially the
menubar.

The screenshot are located at my website:
http://www.crasseux.com/emacs/

Thanks,

@ 2003-05-20 16:28     ` Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2003-05-20 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

> Sure. I made four screenshots, two of emacs20 the way I want it to
> look, and two of the default look of emacs21. I want emacs21 to look
> as much like the emacs20 screenshots as possible. Especially the
> menubar.
>
> The screenshot are located at my website:
> http://www.crasseux.com/emacs/

What would you say about this:-)

http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xpejchal/pictures/emacs.png

--
Jiri Pejchal

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-20 17:13     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-05-20 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>>Can you make a screenshot or a description that explains better what
>>is the difference that you're seeing?  Maye highlight the ones that
>>you're talking about with an arrow or something.  There are a number
>>of things that might be different between the two versions, and it's
>>kinda pointless to list many of them here, just to miss the one that
>>you really need.
>>

> Sure. I made four screenshots, two of emacs20 the way I want it to
> look, and two of the default look of emacs21. I want emacs21 to look
> as much like the emacs20 screenshots as possible. Especially the
> menubar.
>
> The screenshot are located at my website:
> http://www.crasseux.com/emacs/

For starters:

(tool-bar-mode -1)	; see Tool bar support in etc/NEWS

--

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-20 17:39       ` Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2003-05-20 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jiri Pejchal <xpejchal@fi.muni.cz> writes:

> http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xpejchal/pictures/emacs.png

Or similar one:
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xpejchal/pictures/emacs2.png

--
Jiri Pejchal

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-20 18:24       ` Marcus Frings
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6484.1053458875.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Marcus Frings @ 2003-05-20 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:

> For starters:
> (tool-bar-mode -1)	; see Tool bar support in etc/NEWS

As far as I have been told this is the worst possibility of the two ways
how to disable the tool bar because first it is going to be enabled just
in order to be disabled right after. I use this option because it
disables the tool bar just from the beginning when Emacs is going to
start (at least this was suggested when I asked the same question some
time ago):

,----[ ~/.Xresources ]
| ! Disabling the Emacs tool bar
| Emacs.toolBar: 0
`----

Regards,
Marcus
--
Spook words for the NSA: President, Military Intelligence, PGP, Defense, SASR,
CDC, DOE, FMS, HPCC, NTIS, SEL, USCODE, CISE, SIRC, CIM, ISN, DJC, SGC, CDA,

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-20 19:04       ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-05-20 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jiri Pejchal <xpejchal@fi.muni.cz> writes:

> Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:
>

>> Sure. I made four screenshots, two of emacs20 the way I want it to
>> look, and two of the default look of emacs21. I want emacs21 to look
>> as much like the emacs20 screenshots as possible. Especially the
>> menubar.
>>
>> The screenshot are located at my website:
>> http://www.crasseux.com/emacs/
>
> What would you say about this:-)
>
> http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xpejchal/pictures/emacs.png

:)

Thanks but I already know how to compile emacs with GTK.

@ 2003-05-20 19:07       ` Bijan Soleymani
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6484.1053458875.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-05-20 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> For starters:
>

> (tool-bar-mode -1)	; see Tool bar support in etc/NEWS

Thanks, but I know how to do that. However I have no clue as to how I
make the menu-bar look like it used to.

@ 2003-05-20 21:18         ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-05-20 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@fuckmicrosoft.com> writes:
> * Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > For starters:
> > (tool-bar-mode -1)	; see Tool bar support in etc/NEWS
>
> As far as I have been told this is the worst possibility of the two ways
> how to disable the tool bar because first it is going to be enabled just
> in order to be disabled right after. I use this option because it
> disables the tool bar just from the beginning when Emacs is going to
> start (at least this was suggested when I asked the same question some
> time ago):
>
> ,----[ ~/.Xresources ]
> | ! Disabling the Emacs tool bar
> | Emacs.toolBar: 0
> `----

Using X resources only works if you are running under X.  Using .emacs
is generally a better solution if the .emacs is being used for Windows
as well.

If you are concerned with startup performance, you might look at
gnuserv.  Many of us keep emacs running for months at a time.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-21 15:05           ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-05-21 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ken,

kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:
> Using X resources only works if you are running under X.  Using
> .emacs is generally a better solution if the .emacs is being used
> for Windows as well.

You probably know this, but on Windows you can set the same options in
the Windows registry, see the info node "(emacs)Resources X"

so long, benny

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-21 15:37           ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2003-05-21 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

* kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) wrote:

> Using X resources only works if you are running under X.  Using .emacs
> is generally a better solution if the .emacs is being used for Windows
> as well.

Since the original request came from a user running GNU Linux I didn't
really care about Windows Emacs. If you use a Windows Emacs or an Emacs
without X you are right of course and it is better to put the stuff into
your .emacs file.

> If you are concerned with startup performance, you might look at
> gnuserv.  Many of us keep emacs running for months at a time.

This is already on my TODO-list. :-)

Gruß,
Marcus
--
"Fight fight fight, just push it away, fight fight fight, just push until it
breaks, fight fight fight, don't cry at the pain, fight fight fight, or watch

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-22  8:57     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-22  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

> Sure. I made four screenshots, two of emacs20 the way I want it to
> look, and two of the default look of emacs21. I want emacs21 to look
> as much like the emacs20 screenshots as possible. Especially the
> menubar.

Ah!  So you want to change the menubar font, and you want to change
the menubar color.  Right?

The node "Lucid Resources" in the Emacs info file explains how to do
that.  Does this help?

I'm afraid that I'm not 100% sure what happens with the stipple
pattern if you do that.  Hm.  But maybe we start with the font and bg
color, and then worry about the 3d effect later.  OK?
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-22 16:09       ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-05-22 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Ah!  So you want to change the menubar font, and you want to change
> the menubar color.  Right?
>
> The node "Lucid Resources" in the Emacs info file explains how to do
> that.  Does this help?

The following in my .Xresources does almost what I want:
Emacs.pane.menubar.font: 9x15
Emacs.pane.menubar.foreground: black
Emacs.pane.menubar.background: white

Now all I need to figure out is how to make the scrollbar black and
white, and how to set the default font to 9x15.

Btw I think I discovered a bug in the manual. The emacs manual under
the section fonts X says that the default font is 9x15, but I think
that was changed to courier 12 some time ago. 9x15 is what was used in
emacs20.

> I'm afraid that I'm not 100% sure what happens with the stipple
> pattern if you do that.  Hm.  But maybe we start with the font and bg
> color, and then worry about the 3d effect later.  OK?

The 3d effect cause minor problems. For example because I set the
menubar to black and white, I can't see if one of the checkboxes is
checked or not. But I guess I can live with that.

@ 2003-05-22 17:54         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-05-22 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> The following in my .Xresources does almost what I want:
> Emacs.pane.menubar.font: 9x15
> Emacs.pane.menubar.foreground: black
> Emacs.pane.menubar.background: white
>
> Now all I need to figure out is how to make the scrollbar black and
> white, and how to set the default font to 9x15.

You should be able to get all text displayed in 9x15 with this:

Emacs*Font: 9x15

--

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-22 20:21         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-22 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

> Now all I need to figure out is how to make the scrollbar black and
> white, and how to set the default font to 9x15.

Ah, yes, b/w scrollbar.  You need to compile Emacs with the
no-toolkit option, I'm afraid.  To do this, call ./configure with the
right arguments.

Does this help?
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-23  0:35           ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2003-05-23  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Ah, yes, b/w scrollbar.  You need to compile Emacs with the
> no-toolkit option, I'm afraid.  To do this, call ./configure with the
> right arguments.

using --without-toolkit-scroll-bars is probably better if you just want
the old scrollbars.

* Re: Make emacs21 look like emacs20
@ 2003-05-23  6:12             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-23  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg <henrik+news@enberg.org> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Ah, yes, b/w scrollbar.  You need to compile Emacs with the
>> no-toolkit option, I'm afraid.  To do this, call ./configure with the
>> right arguments.
>
> using --without-toolkit-scroll-bars is probably better if you just want
> the old scrollbars.

That's what I meant.  Thanks for setting me straight.
--
This line is not blank.