all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Success, emacs compiled my snipet.
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:20:34 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 19.11.2005 um 17:47 schrieb Anne G:

> but the command export
> usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/anne:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> has no effect.

Because it's not correct! You see that at least a / is missing.

For bash export means, put this name and its associated value into the
environment of this bash instance. All processes derived from this
shell will inherit this value.

The correct syntax for the export statement in ~/.bashrc would be, now
that I know of /usr/local/bin/ruby:

	export PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"

> The beginning is set in etc/profile, but I don't know how to
> overide the write protect.

You would need super-user access. For example launch in Terminal 'sudo
emacs -nw'. Then you could change /etc/profile, but that's not the
right solution! Every time you install an update of Mac OS X this file
might get changed ... Do it for your account in ~/.bashrc, and do it
like above re-using the old PATH value.

> I am a little lost. Do I need to report a bug? If so what
> information do I need to give as to the fix? The one about
> changing the path with environment.plist?

To show it's a bug caused by DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH you would need to rename
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/emacs/22.0.50/site-
lisp/site-start.d/carbon-emacs-builtin.aspell.le to the old name and
comment the unset from .bashrc, launch Carbon Emacs, and see whether
Ruby still works. In the beginning you had two problems: wrong PATH
(therefore only the wrong ruby programme found) and possibly
inappropriate setting of DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. Now the PATH is corrected.
The question left, is whether ruby still works correctly although
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is pointing into the wrong direction. If you find the
answer, please send it to me and I'll try to discuss this topic with
the makers of Japanese Carbon Emacs in their list.

--
Greetings
                                  <]