all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#1471: 23.0.60; Visiting GnuPG-encrypted file yields "file exists, but cannot be read"
@ 2008-12-02 16:48 Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2008-12-02 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

At the shell:

  $ cd /usr/local/src/emacs-via-git/src/

create a tiny encrypted file.

  $ echo Fee fi fo fum | gpg --symmetric > decrypt-me.gpg
  gpg: gpg-agent is not available in this session

You can't see it in this transcript, but I typed a very short passphrase: "foo"

Proof that the file is indeed encrypted:

  $ cat decrypt-me.gpg
  -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
  Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

  jA0EAwMCJkAO8t1a89pgySSta9bxO023orfaXtK+Y0RuUP+8ohMfpLLgVlYWiTeN
  sX8mKnE=
  =HGzp
  -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

Proof that I haven't forgotten the passphrase:

  $ gpg --decrypt < decrypt-me.gpg
  gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
  gpg: gpg-agent is not available in this session
  Enter passphrase:                   gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
  Fee fi fo fum
  gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected

Now let's visit the file in emacs:
  $ ./emacs -Q -nw

I then typed C-x C-f decrypt-me.gpg RET.  Emacs prompted me for the
passphrase for symmetric encryption, as I'd expect.  I entered it, and
then instead of seeing "Fee fi fo fum" in the buffer, as I'd expected, I
saw an error in the echo area: "File exists, but cannot be read".

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/local/src/emacs-via-git/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4)
 of 2008-12-01 on debian
configured using `configure  '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--with-xpm=yes' '--with-jpeg=no' '--with-gif=no' '--with-tiff=no' '--with-xft' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  smerge-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
RET C-x k RET ESC x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b TAB
RET C-g C-x b i n i RET ESC < C-s g p g C-s C-s C-s
C-s C-a C-s e a s y C-s C-a ESC x ESC p RET

Recent messages:
Partially completed
/home/erich/private/: 0% (0/19181)
File exists, but cannot be read
/home/erich/private/: 0% (0/19181)
File exists, but cannot be read
/home/erich/private/: 0% (0/19181)
File exists, but cannot be read
Quit
Mark set
Mark saved where search started [2 times]

--
If you can't change your underwear, can you be sure you have any?

* bug#1471: 23.0.60; Visiting GnuPG-encrypted file yields "file exists, but cannot be read"
@ 2008-12-03  5:47 ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2008-12-03  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eric Hanchrow; +Cc: 1471

> At the shell:

>   $ cd /usr/local/src/emacs-via-git/src/

> create a tiny encrypted file.

>   $ echo Fee fi fo fum | gpg --symmetric > decrypt-me.gpg
>   gpg: gpg-agent is not available in this session

> You can't see it in this transcript, but I typed a very short passphrase: "foo"

> Proof that the file is indeed encrypted:

>   $ cat decrypt-me.gpg
>   -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
>   Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

>   jA0EAwMCJkAO8t1a89pgySSta9bxO023orfaXtK+Y0RuUP+8ohMfpLLgVlYWiTeN
>   sX8mKnE=
>   =HGzp
>   -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

> Proof that I haven't forgotten the passphrase:

>   $ gpg --decrypt < decrypt-me.gpg
>   gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
>   gpg: gpg-agent is not available in this session
>   Enter passphrase:                   gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
>   Fee fi fo fum
>   gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected

> Now let's visit the file in emacs:
>   $ ./emacs -Q -nw

> I then typed C-x C-f decrypt-me.gpg RET.  Emacs prompted me for the
> passphrase for symmetric encryption, as I'd expect.  I entered it, and
> then instead of seeing "Fee fi fo fum" in the buffer, as I'd expected, I
> saw an error in the echo area: "File exists, but cannot be read".

I can't reproduce it.  Could you please try again with

(setq epg-debug t)

and provide the content of the " *epg-debug*" buffer?

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* bug#1471: 23.0.60; Visiting GnuPG-encrypted file yields "file exists, but cannot be read"
@ 2008-12-12  4:14 Rudi Schlatte
From: Rudi Schlatte @ 2008-12-12  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 1471