all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* FAQ 5.44 leaves still one thing desired for font-lock
@ 2003-12-07  3:22 Bhushit Joshipura
From: Bhushit Joshipura @ 2003-12-07  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

My [x]emacs on Redhat 9.0 does not syntax highlight automatically. I
tried Emacs FAQ and found a suggestion to add this line to my .emacs.

(global-font-lock-mode 1)

This solution is however incomplete in my case. I still need to go to
options -> syntax highlighting -> In this buffer and select it.

What is the way to do this too automatically?

And to end all these questions, is there a .emacs or .xemacs
generator? It may let me select or deselect all options for a standard
[x]emacs - backspace / delete, keymaps, syntax highlighting, ... and
dump .emacs or .xemacs ?

I am a C / TCL programmer and all I want at present is a decent good
editor without being distracted.

Thanks in advance,
-Bhushit