all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Colorizing Emacs
@ 2003-03-05  3:09 John Chen
From: John Chen @ 2003-03-05  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering how I could colorize my emacs?

Thanks!
John

* Re: Colorizing Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.2753.1046833807.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-05  7:13 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-05  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

jchen@parasoft.com (John Chen) writes:

> I was wondering how I could colorize my emacs?

Buy a color monitor :-)

Seriously, this was a little vague, but maybe you will be happy with
frobbing global-font-lock-mode.  Type M-x customize-variable RET
global-font-lock-mode RET, follow the directions, and don't forget to
save your changes...

* Re: Colorizing Emacs
@ 2003-03-05  8:24   ` Lucas
From: Lucas @ 2003-03-05  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Un beau jour, kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) nous a dit:

> Seriously, this was a little vague, but maybe you will be happy with
> frobbing global-font-lock-mode.  Type M-x customize-variable RET
> global-font-lock-mode RET, follow the directions, and don't forget to
> save your changes...

BTW, I have to say that I'm curious to know what are *your* colors ?
Would you mind posting your config' ? :)

Here's mine

;; Position de la fenêtre, couleur, et tout le barda
;; M-x list-colors-display
;; M-x set-cursor-color
;; M-x set-background-color
;; M-x set-foreground-color
(setq default-frame-alist  '(
                             (top . 10) (left . 19)
                             (width . 132) (height . 48)
                             (cursor-color . "DeepSkyBlue3")
                             (background-color . "wheat")
                             (vertical-scroll-bars . right)
                             )
      )

Is this the right way to do it (no resource file, I'm under XP...) ?

Lucas

@ 2003-03-05  8:45 ` Stein A. Stromme
From: Stein A. Stromme @ 2003-03-05  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

[John Chen]

| I was wondering how I could colorize my emacs?

Look at color-theme.el from

    <http://www.bright.net/~jonadab/emacs/>

SA
--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672

* Re: Colorizing Emacs
@ 2003-03-05  8:53     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-05  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lucas <bonnet.lucas@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> BTW, I have to say that I'm curious to know what are *your* colors ?
> Would you mind posting your config' ? :)

Hm.  Lessee now...

~/.Xresources has this:

#define KAIFG black
#define KAIBG gainsboro
#define KAIBG_ALT grey
#define KAIBG_HILITE ghostwhite

*Foreground:            KAIFG
*Background:            KAIBG
Emacs*background:       KAIBG

Emacs*pointerColor:             KAIFG
Emacs.pane.menubar.background:          KAIBG_ALT
Emacs.pane.menubar.buttonForeground:    red
Emacs.pane.menubar.buttonBackground:    green
Emacs.pane.menubar.font:                KAIFONT_SMALL
Emacs.menu*.font:                       KAIFONT_SMALL
Emacs.menu*.background:                 KAIBG_ALT
Emacs.fringe.attributeBackground:       KAIBG_ALT

And ~/.emacs has this:

  (set-mouse-color "black")
  (eval-after-load "custom"
    '(progn
       (set-face-bold-p 'custom-button-face t)))
  ;; if font has no italic, use color
  (unless (condition-case nil
              (x-resolve-font-name
               (x-make-font-italic (x-get-resource "emacs" "font")))
            (error nil))
    (mapcar (lambda (f)
              (when (face-italic-p f)
                (set-face-foreground f "seagreen")))
            (face-list)))

    (set-face-background 'highlight "lightsteelblue")
    (set-face-background 'region "ghostwhite")
    (eval-after-load "wid-edit"
      '(progn
         (set-face-background 'widget-field-face "ghostwhite")))
    (eval-after-load "xslide-font"
      '(progn
         (set-face-foreground 'xsl-fo-alternate-face "seagreen")))

And then there is some stuff in ~/.gnus:

  (set-face-foreground 'gnus-header-content-face "indianred4")
  (set-face-foreground 'gnus-header-newsgroups-face "midnightblue")

Does this help?

* Re: Colorizing Emacs
@ 2003-03-05 11:27       ` Lucas
From: Lucas @ 2003-03-05 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Un beau jour, kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) nous a dit:

> Hm.  Lessee now...
>
> ~/.Xresources has this:
>
> #define KAIFG black
> #define KAIBG gainsboro
Not so bad, I'll test for a few.

> #define KAIBG_ALT grey
Too sad :)

> #define KAIBG_HILITE ghostwhite
Highlight ? Highlight what ? :)
Is there a way do define it in .emacs ?

[...]

> Emacs*pointerColor:             KAIFG
No way to do that on XP, bloody OS.

> Emacs.pane.menubar.background:          KAIBG_ALT
> Emacs.pane.menubar.buttonForeground:    red
> Emacs.pane.menubar.buttonBackground:    green
[...]

Fruit Salad :) And still no way to do that *easily* on XP...

> Emacs.fringe.attributeBackground:       KAIBG_ALT

fringe ? You even set the border colour ? :)

> And ~/.emacs has this:
>
>   (set-mouse-color "black")
>   (eval-after-load "custom"
>     '(progn
>        (set-face-bold-p 'custom-button-face t)))
Face not found :(

>   ;; if font has no italic, use color
>   (unless (condition-case nil
>               (x-resolve-font-name
>                (x-make-font-italic (x-get-resource "emacs" "font")))
My Emacs tells that x-make-font-italic is obsolete, but I'm sure you've
got a good reason to keep using it :)

[...]

Nice colours too :)

> And then there is some stuff in ~/.gnus:
>
>   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-header-content-face "indianred4")
>   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-header-newsgroups-face "midnightblue")

I've much more colours, here's mine :

   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-summary-normal-read-face "blue")
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-signature-face "purple4")
   (copy-face 'default 'gnus-cite-face-1)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-cite-face-1 "ligh slate gray")
   (copy-face 'default 'gnus-cite-face-2)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-cite-face-2 "sea green")
   (copy-face 'default 'gnus-cite-face-3)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-cite-face-3 "RosyBrown4")
   (copy-face 'default 'gnus-header-content-face)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-header-content-face "DeepPink1")
   (copy-face 'default 'gnus-header-from-face)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-header-from-face "olive drab")
   (copy-face 'default 'gnus-header-name-face)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-header-name-face "orchid")
   (copy-face 'italic 'gnus-header-subject-face)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-header-subject-face "lightcoral")
   (copy-face 'italic 'gnus-cite-attribution-face)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-cite-attribution-face "tan")
   (copy-face 'bold 'gnus-emphasis-bold)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-emphasis-bold "medium blue")
   (set-face-foreground 'message-header-other-face "pale violet red")
   (set-face-foreground 'message-cited-text-face "midnight blue")
   (copy-face 'bold 'gnus-group-news-3-face)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-group-news-3-face "LightBlue4")
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-group-news-3-empty-face "SpringGreen4")
   (copy-face 'bold 'gnus-group-mail-3-face)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-group-mail-3-face "medium purple")
   (copy-face 'default 'gnus-group-mail-3-empty-face)
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-group-mail-3-empty-face "khaki4")
   (set-face-foreground 'gnus-cite-face-1 "blue violet")

I really enjoy whene there's tons of colour everywhere, as you can see
> Does this help?

Yes, sure, thanks. I still need to learn Elisp :)

--
Lucas, fruit salad fan

* Re: Colorizing Emacs
@ 2003-03-05 13:00     ` Francois Fleuret
From: Francois Fleuret @ 2003-03-05 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

bonnet.lucas@wanadoo.fr wrote on 05 Mar 2003 09:24:55 MET:

> BTW, I have to say that I'm curious to know what are *your* colors ?
> Would you mind posting your config' ? :)

I do not know if your question was asked to everybody, but here are my
setting :) As usual, comments about the code are welcome.

;; Basically, we switch to a sober look and darken a bit the colors
;; which need to (because of the darker background)

(defun configure-faces (fl) "Set face attributes and create faces when necessary"
  (mapc (lambda (f)
          (unless (boundp (car f)) (make-empty-face (car f)))
          (eval `(set-face-attribute (car f) nil ,@(cdr f))))
        fl))

;; Not the same in console (which is gray in my case) and in
;; X-window

(unless (boundp 'x-display-name)
  (configure-faces
   '((region :background "blue" :foreground "white")
     (highlight :background "darkseagreen3")
     (isearch :background "orange" :foreground "black")
     (isearch-lazy-highlight-face' :background "yellow" :foreground "black")
     (trailing-whitespace :background "white")
     (show-paren-match-face :background "gold" :foreground "black")
     (show-paren-mismatch-face :background "red" :foreground "black")
     (font-lock-keyword-face :foreground "blue")))
  )

(when (boundp 'x-display-name)
  (configure-faces
   '((default :background "gray80")
     (font-lock-string-face :foreground "darkgreen")
     (font-lock-builtin-face :foreground "deeppink3")
     (font-lock-variable-name-face :foreground "orange3")
     (letter-face :background "lightgoldenrodyellow")
     (mode-line :background "gray70" :box nil)
     (fringe :background "gray70")
     (header-line :background "gray70")
     (region :background "gray60")
     (highlight :background "darkseagreen3")
     (isearch :background "yellow" :foreground "black")
     (isearch-lazy-highlight-face' :background "yellow3" :foreground "black")
     (trailing-whitespace :background "gray70")
     (show-paren-match-face :background "gold" :foreground "black")
     (show-paren-mismatch-face :background "red" :foreground "black")
     ))
  )

Regards,

FF

* Re: Colorizing Emacs
@ 2003-03-05 13:22       ` Lucas
From: Lucas @ 2003-03-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Un beau jour, Francois Fleuret <francois.fleuret@inria.fr> nous a dit:

> Hi,
>
> bonnet.lucas@wanadoo.fr wrote on 05 Mar 2003 09:24:55 MET:
>
>> BTW, I have to say that I'm curious to know what are *your* colors ?
>> Would you mind posting your config' ? :)
>
> I do not know if your question was asked to everybody, but here are my
> setting :) As usual, comments about the code are welcome.

Plus on est de fous, plus on rit :) ["The more the merrier", for people
who (sadly) don't understand French]

[...]

It works fine for me (whereas I had to play a little with Elisp for
Kai's), I think I'll steal your code, to allow a fast-switching-colour

Thanks agains :)

--
Lucas

* Re: Colorizing Emacs
@ 2003-03-05 14:42         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-05 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lucas <bonnet.lucas@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Un beau jour, kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) nous a dit:
>
>> Hm.  Lessee now...
>>
>> ~/.Xresources has this:
>>
>> #define KAIFG black
>> #define KAIBG gainsboro
> Not so bad, I'll test for a few.
>
>> #define KAIBG_ALT grey
> Too sad :)
>
>> #define KAIBG_HILITE ghostwhite
> Highlight ? Highlight what ? :)
> Is there a way do define it in .emacs ?

Maybe it is used in places outside Emacs in my config.  For example,
KDE has these scrollable drop-down lists that one can select things
from.

>> Emacs*pointerColor:             KAIFG
> No way to do that on XP, bloody OS.
>
>> Emacs.pane.menubar.background:          KAIBG_ALT
>> Emacs.pane.menubar.buttonForeground:    red
>> Emacs.pane.menubar.buttonBackground:    green
> [...]
>
> Fruit Salad :) And still no way to do that *easily* on XP...

I think the red and green colors don't do anything.  But if it ever
does something, I will see it right away.

>> Emacs.fringe.attributeBackground:       KAIBG_ALT
>
> fringe ? You even set the border colour ? :)

See the Emacs 21 NEWS file (M-x view-emacs-news RET) for information
on the fringe.

It's not the border.

>> And ~/.emacs has this:
>>
>>   (set-mouse-color "black")
>>   (eval-after-load "custom"
>>     '(progn
>>        (set-face-bold-p 'custom-button-face t)))
> Face not found :(

Did you load custom.el first?

>>   ;; if font has no italic, use color
>>   (unless (condition-case nil
>>               (x-resolve-font-name
>>                (x-make-font-italic (x-get-resource "emacs" "font")))
> My Emacs tells that x-make-font-italic is obsolete, but I'm sure you've
> got a good reason to keep using it :)

Maybe I haven't used non-italic fonts in a while...

> Nice colours too :)

8-)

* Re: Colorizing Emacs
@ 2003-03-05 16:13 John Chen
From: John Chen @ 2003-03-05 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the ambiguity, but what I meant was that when I open a Java File,
for example, I would like reserved words to be a certain color and stuff of
that nature.

John

* Re: Colorizing Emacs
@ 2003-03-05 16:22           ` Lucas
From: Lucas @ 2003-03-05 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Un beau jour, kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) nous a dit:

> Maybe it is used in places outside Emacs in my config.  For example,
> KDE has these scrollable drop-down lists that one can select things
> from.

I think I see what is this...

> I think the red and green colors don't do anything.  But if it ever
> does something, I will see it right away.
Allright :)

> See the Emacs 21 NEWS file (M-x view-emacs-news RET) for information
> on the fringe.

Ok, I didn't know it was called fringes. Phew, you can even change
*that* colour, amazing :)

> Did you load custom.el first?
Of course I didn't :) But my custom buttons are pretty ugly, though, so
I don't want anything to look like them, after reflexion.

>> Nice colours too :)
>
> 8-)

Did you try FF's colours, they're very nice too.

--
Lucas, thinking about a news::gnu.emacs.colours ^^

* Re: Colorizing Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.2790.1046881488.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-05 16:38 ` Lucas
From: Lucas @ 2003-03-05 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Un beau jour, jchen@parasoft.com (John Chen) nous a dit:

> Sorry for the ambiguity, but what I meant was that when I open a Java
> File, for example, I would like reserved words to be a certain color
> and stuff of that nature.

There is a java-mode which is loaded when you open a java file (provided
that your file has an extenstion recognized by Emacs to be Java [1]).
You need to set up the font-lock-mode in your .emacs, and then, when you
open a Java file, Emacs will load the mode, and colors will spread
around in your buffer.

The same rules apply to a lot of modes, see the value of auto-mode-alist
to have an idea.

--
Lucas, asm rulez.
[1] In my auto-mode-alist, java-mode is "binded" to .java, but you can

@ 2003-03-05 17:38 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-05 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

jchen@parasoft.com (John Chen) writes:

> Sorry for the ambiguity, but what I meant was that when I open a Java
> File, for example, I would like reserved words to be a certain color
> and stuff of that nature.

In that case, my wild guess was right on :-)

(The one about global-font-lock-mode.)

* Re: Colorizing Emacs
@ 2003-03-05 19:11   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-03-05 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

stromme@mi.uib.no (Stein A. Stromme) writes:

> Look at color-theme.el from
>
>     <http://www.bright.net/~jonadab/emacs/>

Awesome!  I hadn't seen or heard of this before.. I love it.