all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 4, Issue 19
       [not found] <E18rQiV-0004PA-00@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-08  8:32 ` Lars Hansen
From: Lars Hansen @ 2003-03-08  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Actually, what Tramp does to expand "/foo:../.." is the following:
>
>* The localname part ("../..") is not absolute, so it must be relative
>  to the remote home dir.  Prepend "~/" to the localname, giving
>  "/foo:~/../..".
>
>* Expand tildes, giving, say, "/foo:/home/jrl/../..".
>
>* Expand the localname part, giving "/", then tack on the prefix.
>
>The final result is "/foo:/".
>
>Is this the right behavior so far?
>

>In the case of "/root@foo:../..", where the ~root on the remote host
>is "/root", the result will be "/root@foo:/..", which is not pretty.
>Maybe this should be expanded, again, to "/".  WDYT?

One might look at file name in the following two ways:

1. An optional remote prefix followed by something.
2. A sequence of strings separated by slashes.

Which view should be given highest precedence?

If the first view is given the highest precedence, I think the "/.." part of
"/root@foo:/.." should be interpreted as it would on the remote machine,
i.e. "/root@foo:/.." should normally expand to "/root@foo:/".
In this case a file cannot be named relative to a directory if the file and
the directory are on different machines.

If the second view is given the highest precedence, "/x/.." should expand
to "/" independently of what "x" is. Thus "/root@foo:/.." as well
as "/foo:../.."
should expand to "/".
In this case a file can always be named relative to a directory.
In this case expand-file-name should be changed to remove ".."'s *before*
file handlers are called.

IMHO the two choises of precedence should not be mixed.

* Re: file-relative-name and remote files
       [not found] <E18rQiV-0004PA-00@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-08  8:38 ` Lars Hansen
From: Lars Hansen @ 2003-03-08  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-03-08  8:46 ` Lars Hansen
From: Lars Hansen @ 2003-03-08  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lars Hansen <larsh@math.ku.dk> writes:
>
>>> One more problem: The syntax to invoke the Tramp file handler
>>> is "\`/[^/:]+:". So the handler is not invoked in the call
>>> (expand-file-name "/emacs/../larsh@galois.math.ku.dk:."). The
>>> call returns "/larsh@galois.math.ku.dk:." but it should return
>>> "/larsh@galois.math.ku.dk:/home/l/larsh".
>>

>So maybe expand-file-name should re-invoke itself until it reaches a
>fixpoint?
> -- A preposition is not a good thing to end a sentence with.

IMHO expand-file-name should remove ".."'s *before* calling file
handlers.

* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 4, Issue 19
@ 2003-03-08 14:39   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-08 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Hansen <larsh@math.ku.dk> writes:

> If the second view is given the highest precedence, "/x/.." should expand
> to "/" independently of what "x" is. Thus "/root@foo:/.." as well as
> "/foo:../.."
> should expand to "/".

That just doesn't make sense.  It neglects "~".  IMHO, a filename
such as "~/../bla" makes perfect sense, and I think that "~" should
be expanded first, before processing "..".

What do you think?

For Tramp, filenames "/foo:bar" where "bar" is a relative name are
considered to be equivalent to "/foo:~/bar".

Ayee.  Once upon a time, Tramp would barf on "/foo:bar", but users
didn't want to type the extra two characters to use "/foo:~/bar"
instead.  So I fixed it up such that "/foo:bar" worked.  Now it's
haunting me, I think.

Anyhow, I think it is not a good idea to make "/foo:bar" and
"/foo:~/bar" different in such a subtle way.

* Re: file-relative-name and remote files
@ 2003-03-08 14:41   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-08 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Hansen <larsh@math.ku.dk> writes:

>>So maybe expand-file-name should re-invoke itself until it reaches a
>>fixpoint?
>> -- A preposition is not a good thing to end a sentence with.
>>
> IMHO expand-file-name should remove ".."'s *before* calling file
> handlers.

IMHO expand-file-name should expand "~" even before processing "..".
To expand "~" it is necessary to invoke the handler.

Hm.

* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 4, Issue 19
@ 2003-03-10  1:56     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-03-10  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> That just doesn't make sense.  It neglects "~".  IMHO, a filename
> such as "~/../bla" makes perfect sense, and I think that "~" should
> be expanded first, before processing "..".

>From a user's point of view, I definitely agree.  Also with environment-
variables; I use names such as `$foo/../bar' quite often.

-Miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....