all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* User dict for Japanese Leim
@ 2003-03-09  4:52 Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2003-03-09  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a large user dictionary (kana-to-kanji) in a text file developed
during a decade of using Japanese Windows IME, and I would love to have this
available to me in Emacs. I have done quite a bit of searching around, both
inside Emacs and on the web, but have been unable to turn up any kind of
documentation that would tell me if it is possible to do this. Can anyone
point me to relevant resources within Emacs or on the web?

Regards,

Chuck

---------------------------
Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary [http://www.acmuller.net]
H-Buddhism List Editor [http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~buddhism/]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787

* Re: User dict for Japanese Leim
@ 2003-03-09  5:07 ` Janusz S. Bień
From: Janusz S. Bień @ 2003-03-09  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003  Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> wrote:

> I have a large user dictionary (kana-to-kanji) in a text file developed
> during a decade of using Japanese Windows IME, and I would love to have this
> available to me in Emacs. I have done quite a bit of searching around, both
> inside Emacs and on the web, but have been unable to turn up any kind of
> documentation that would tell me if it is possible to do this. Can anyone
> point me to relevant resources within Emacs or on the web?

Have a look at http://lookup.sourceforge.net/.

If the structure of you dictionary is simple enough, then you can
convert it into DICT format and to use it with lookup even withour a
server. If not, perhaps some other format supported by lookup will
suit you.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW

* Re: User dict for Japanese Leim
@ 2003-03-09  9:09   ` Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2003-03-09  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Janusz wrote:

> Have a look at http://lookup.sourceforge.net/.
>
> If the structure of you dictionary is simple enough, then you can
> convert it into DICT format and to use it with lookup even withour a
> server. If not, perhaps some other format supported by lookup will
> suit you.

I guess my usage of the term "dictionary" confuses the issue a bit. I am not
looking to integrate a dictionary for looking up words. I am trying to
supplement the leim kana-to-kanji conversion table that comes with
Linux. The basic file that is (apparently) used for this is called ja-dic.elc,
which is why I used the term "dictionary." I would assume that there must be
a concomitant ja-dic.el, but it is not available locally, and it is not
clear whether that which is listed on ftp sites is designed to be editable
in such a manner. This seems to be an area that is under-documented (at
least in English) as compared with other components of Emacs.

Regards,

Chuck

---------------------------

       [not found] <mailman.3006.1047185585.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-09 13:10 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3017.1047227792.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-09 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> writes:

> I have a large user dictionary (kana-to-kanji) in a text file developed
> during a decade of using Japanese Windows IME, and I would love to have this
> available to me in Emacs. I have done quite a bit of searching around, both
> inside Emacs and on the web, but have been unable to turn up any kind of
> documentation that would tell me if it is possible to do this. Can anyone
> point me to relevant resources within Emacs or on the web?

It seems to me that the dictionary might be in the directory
leim/SKK-DIC/ which is used during the building of Emacs to produce
the relevant Lisp file.

Maybe you can augment that file?

* Re: User dict for Japanese Leim
@ 2003-03-09 16:35   ` Charles Muller
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3017.1047227792.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Charles Muller @ 2003-03-09 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai wrote:

> Chuck wrote:
> > I have a large user dictionary (kana-to-kanji) in a text file developed
> > during a decade of using Japanese Windows IME, and I would love to have this
> > available to me in Emacs. I have done quite a bit of searching around, both
> > inside Emacs and on the web, but have been unable to turn up any kind of
> > documentation that would tell me if it is possible to do this. Can anyone
> > point me to relevant resources within Emacs or on the web?
>
> It seems to me that the dictionary might be in the directory
> leim/SKK-DIC/ which is used during the building of Emacs to produce
> the relevant Lisp file.

Hmm. My installation of leim has no skk-dic subdirectory (perhaps this was
used in Emacs 20.x?). Just quail, as below. The file
/leim/quail/japanese.elc includes key bindings and the basic conversions
from latin input to Japanese kana. I was guessing that there might be a
reference somewhere in this file to the file that contains the kana-to-kanji
data, but I can't see any directory or file references at all. There *has*
to be a file like this somewhere, although I suppose it may be similar to the case of
Windows, in being a binary, rather than text file.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Chuck

------------------------------

/usr/share/emacs/21.2/leim
/usr/share/emacs/21.2/leim/ja-dic
/usr/share/emacs/21.2/leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.elc
/usr/share/emacs/21.2/leim/quail
/usr/share/emacs/21.2/leim/quail/CTLau-b5.elc
[...]
/usr/share/emacs/21.2/leim/quail/ipa.elc
/usr/share/emacs/21.2/leim/quail/japanese.elc

[...]

/usr/share/emacs/21.2/leim/quail/tsang-cns.elc
/usr/share/emacs/21.2/leim/quail/viqr.elc
/usr/share/emacs/21.2/leim/leim-list.el

---------------------------

@ 2003-03-09 17:08     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-09 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> writes:

>> Chuck wrote:
>> > I have a large user dictionary (kana-to-kanji) in a text file developed
>> > during a decade of using Japanese Windows IME, and I would love to have this
>> > available to me in Emacs. I have done quite a bit of searching around, both
>> > inside Emacs and on the web, but have been unable to turn up any kind of
>> > documentation that would tell me if it is possible to do this. Can anyone
>> > point me to relevant resources within Emacs or on the web?
>>
>> It seems to me that the dictionary might be in the directory
>> leim/SKK-DIC/ which is used during the building of Emacs to produce
>> the relevant Lisp file.
>
> Hmm. My installation of leim has no skk-dic subdirectory (perhaps this was
> used in Emacs 20.x?).

Look in the source dir.  (I could find it in
/usr/sw-src/emacs/21.2/emacs-21.2/leim on my system.  I have compiled
Emacs myself and installed it into /usr/sw/emacs/21.2.)

* Re: User dict for Japanese Leim
@ 2003-03-10  4:15       ` Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2003-03-10  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kai wrote,

> Look in the source dir.  (I could find it in
> /usr/sw-src/emacs/21.2/emacs-21.2/leim on my system.  I have compiled
> Emacs myself and installed it into /usr/sw/emacs/21.2.)

Thanks again Kai.

I have managed to find someone who knows a lot about this
(Christian Wittern), and apparently what I want to do is not doable at this
time. Not only is there no user dictionary, but the main dictionary only
works with EUC encoding for the old, small, JIS-0208 character set, so it
would not really be worth my time trying to supplement it.

Regards,

Chuck

@ 2003-03-10  7:16         ` Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2003-03-10  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was finally able to solve this problem with Japanese conversion dictionary. I needed to get the ja-dic.el file which I
was able to edit and add to, and then recompile. It works fine, aside from
the limitation to the JIS character set.

Regards,

Chuck