all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* saving problem - please help!
@ 2002-11-08 11:11 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2002-11-08 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I've got a problem on the saving operation with emacs. When I save the file
emacs asks me the coding system, because the latin-9 doesn't work. So I
choose one of the saving coding types, but the characters like 'à' 'é' 'ò'
are saved like '\216a' etc. Since the text is  a latex input, how can I say
to emacs to save the text with the correct characters and reconvert the
already written text into the right format?

Thanks a lot.

--
Luca Ferrari,
fluca1978@libero.it

* Re: saving problem - please help!
       [not found] <mailman.1036751118.27068.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-09 16:03 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-09 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@libero.it> writes:

> I've got a problem on the saving operation with emacs. When I save the file
> emacs asks me the coding system, because the latin-9 doesn't work. So I
> choose one of the saving coding types, but the characters like 'à' 'é' 'ò'
> are saved like '\216a' etc. Since the text is  a latex input, how can I say
> to emacs to save the text with the correct characters and reconvert the
> already written text into the right format?

This means that you have some character in your buffer which is not
in Latin-9.  Emacs 20 used to show you the first character that
couldn't be encoded in the coding system, but Emacs 21.2 doesn't do
that anymore.  (Emacs 21.4 will do it again.)

You could search for unknown characters with something like

C-u C-s [^\000-\177äöü]

Instead of äöü you should put all the nonascii characters that you
normally use.

kai