all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-24 11:02 Astrid Kuhr
       [not found] ` <nq65mvegrw.fsf@alcatel.de>
From: Astrid Kuhr @ 2003-06-24 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

With the konquerror I can connect to
samba shares with smb://....

Is there a way in which I can go to
samba-shares in the emacs?

Regards, Astrid

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
       [not found] ` <nq65mvegrw.fsf@alcatel.de>
@ 2003-06-24 14:05   ` Astrid Kuhr
From: Astrid Kuhr @ 2003-06-24 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

I am using Emacs in Suse Linux 8.0.
I am looking for something, hat I can
used dired and all other nice things from
emacs for a directory, which is connected
via samba.
As the same you can do it with ange-ftp
to an ftp-share in emacs.

I looked for tramp, but it seems to be
for windows?

Regards, Astrid

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-24 15:08     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-24 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I looked for tramp, but it seems to be for windows?

Huh?  Where did you get this idea from?  Why did you stop as soon as
you got this idea rather than try a little harder?

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-24 15:28     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-24 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Astrid Kuhr <a_kuhr@web.de> writes:

> I looked for tramp, but it seems to be for windows?

Huh?  What did you find?  How did you get the impression it's for
Windows?

After a lot of pain, I got it working reasonably well under Windows,
for some people, at least.  Maybe what you found is reports about the
pain.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
       [not found] ` <nq65mvegrw.fsf@alcatel.de>
@ 2003-06-24 17:09   ` Astrid Kuhr
From: Astrid Kuhr @ 2003-06-24 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

The tramp I found is this version:

This file is current as of: tramp.el version 2.89.
                            tramp-vc.el version 2.1.

I can not found anything with smb in the el-files.
Does it mean, its not the version, which has tramp-smb
inside?

Regards, Astrid

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-24 19:42     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-24 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Astrid Kuhr <a_kuhr@web.de> writes:

> The tramp I found is this version:
>
> This file is current as of: tramp.el version 2.89.
>                             tramp-vc.el version 2.1.
>
> I can not found anything with smb in the el-files.
> Does it mean, its not the version, which has tramp-smb
> inside?

Tramp now lives at Savannah:

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/tramp

You didn't say where you found it, but at least the SourceForge
project page tells you that Tramp has moved.

tramp.el 2.89 looks somewhat old.  We're currently at 2.319.  Hm.
Ah, 2.89 is from 2002-03-01, that's one year and three months ago.

When I google for "tramp", the fourth entry is the SourceForge page.
I wonder how you could miss it ;-)
--
~/.signature

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-25  7:09       ` Astrid Kuhr
From: Astrid Kuhr @ 2003-06-25  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

Thanks for the link, then I will try this one.
I found at google the
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34545&release_id=75725
and there I took it from first.

Regards, Astrid

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-25  9:40       ` Astrid Kuhr
       [not found]         ` <nqllvqjuxu.fsf@alcatel.de>
From: Astrid Kuhr @ 2003-06-25  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

Now I installed you new version.
But I get it not work correctly.

I want to switch with dired to a smb-"drive".
The name of the host is abc123, the name of
the share is share$, the username is user47.

What I must specify then there?

user47@abc123:share$$

or must I use the ` or '?
Which ones of these?
I tried very many combinations, but with no success.
With the smbclient command directly I can access
the share. (Its neccessary to input a password
there too.)

Regards, Astrid

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
       [not found]         ` <nqllvqjuxu.fsf@alcatel.de>
@ 2003-06-25 12:57           ` Astrid Kuhr
       [not found]             ` <nqy8zqi3df.fsf@alcatel.de>
From: Astrid Kuhr @ 2003-06-25 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

Thank you very much. ::))
share$$ will not work, but I omit it and
browse afterwards to share$$.

Regards, Astrid

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
       [not found]         ` <nqllvqjuxu.fsf@alcatel.de>
@ 2003-06-25 14:08           ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]             ` <nq3chyjiaj.fsf@alcatel.de>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-25 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Albinus <Michael.Albinus@alcatel.de> writes:

> /smb:user47@abc123:share$$ would be correct. Sometimes there is a
> problem with expansion of the '$' sign. This case you shall start with
> /smb:user47@abc123: - you should see all shares now. Further
> navigation is dired-like.

How cool.  Anyone know how to delete a directory using smb from unix
to win (under emacs as above).  The normal dired methods to create or
delete a dir do not work here.

However smbclient //MACHINE/SHARE -UAdministrator
PASSWORD
rmdir dir

Does work.  How can I pass that command thru emacs?

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
       [not found]             ` <nq3chyjiaj.fsf@alcatel.de>
@ 2003-06-25 15:44               ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-25 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Albinus <Michael.Albinus@alcatel.de> writes:

>> How cool.  Anyone know how to delete a directory using smb from unix
>> to win (under emacs as above).  The normal dired methods to create or
>> delete a dir do not work here.
>>
>> However smbclient //MACHINE/SHARE -UAdministrator
>> PASSWORD
>> rmdir dir
>>
>> Does work.  How can I pass that command thru emacs?
>
> Just checked with my Tramp 2.0.35. You're right, creating a directory
> fails in tramp-smb-handle-make-directory-internal. I'll check next
> days why.
>

> Removing works from dired, given the directory is empty. Could you,
> please, be a little bit more verbose how it does NOT work for you?

Ok, but only if you will be more verbose about how `Removing' works
for you.  hehe : )

In my case I tried to remove an empty directory with:
place cursor on empty dir
! rm -rf *

Just now also tried
! rmdir
! rm
In both cases, with and without asterisk
The directory is unaffected and no error is thrown.

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-25 16:50                 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-25 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In my case I tried to remove an empty directory with:
> place cursor on empty dir
> ! rm -rf *

Hit d and then x.  That's the dired way.  Your way is using shell
commands.
--
~/.signature

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-25 17:57                   ` David Kastrup
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.8645.1056598189.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-06-25 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> > In my case I tried to remove an empty directory with:
> > place cursor on empty dir
> > ! rm -rf *
>
> Hit d and then x.  That's the dired way.  Your way is using shell
> commands.

If you are going to hit x anyway, you can just hit D in the first place.

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
       [not found]             ` <nqy8zqi3df.fsf@alcatel.de>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-25 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hmm, that's what I've feared. There's still an unresolved problem
> expanding "$$", because internally `expand-file-name' is called more
> than once, and that fails for "$$". I'll ask emacs-devel what to do;

expand-file-name shouldn't do anything special for $ (or $$ for that
matter).  The only function that does something with it is
substitute-in-file-name which does env-var expansion and which is called
for filenames entered interactively (and should only be called once), so
for such filenames you have to quote every $ by using $$, so if you want
the filename `share$$', you have to enter `share$$$$'.

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-26  3:19                   ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.8645.1056598189.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-26  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>> In my case I tried to remove an empty directory with:
>> place cursor on empty dir
>> ! rm -rf *
>
> Hit d and then x.  That's the dired way.  Your way is using shell
> commands.

Yuck, I've been doing this wrong for years.  I must have gotten the
notion that dired couldn't delete a directory with [Dd] from trying
to delete one that wasn't empty, years ago.
Nice to know..

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.8645.1056598189.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-26  9:15                     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-26  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yuck, I've been doing this wrong for years.  I must have gotten the
> notion that dired couldn't delete a directory with [Dd] from trying
> to delete one that wasn't empty, years ago.
> Nice to know..

Dired can now delete directories recursively.  This is a relatively
new feature.  That's also why I got into the habit to use rm -rf on
directories.  But I was just lucky to be able to unlearn that habit
quick enough :-)

--
~/.signature

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-26 10:31                       ` Stein A. Stromme
       [not found]                         ` <mailman.8694.1056654424.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stein A. Stromme @ 2003-06-26 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Kai Großjohann]

| Dired can now delete directories recursively.  This is a relatively
| new feature.  That's also why I got into the habit to use rm -rf on
| directories.  But I was just lucky to be able to unlearn that habit
| quick enough :-)

Great!  Now: what is the best way to change old habits?
--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-26 18:36                         ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]                         ` <mailman.8694.1056654424.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-26 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

stromme@mi.uib.no (Stein A. Stromme) writes:

> | Dired can now delete directories recursively.  This is a relatively
> | new feature.  That's also why I got into the habit to use rm -rf on
> | directories.  But I was just lucky to be able to unlearn that habit
> | quick enough :-)
>
> Great!  Now: what is the best way to change old habits?

Super glue the ! key... ?

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-26 18:39                       ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]                       ` <mailman.8689.1056653807.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-26 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Dired can now delete directories recursively.  This is a relatively
> new feature.  That's also why I got into the habit to use rm -rf on
> directories.  But I was just lucky to be able to unlearn that habit
> quick enough :-)

You always learn fast... I've been noticiing..
Oh and thanks to you and the others on TRAMP devel for that nifty
samba stuff.

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
@ 2003-06-26 18:48                       ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]                       ` <mailman.8689.1056653807.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-26 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Dired can now delete directories recursively.  This is a relatively
> new feature.  That's also why I got into the habit to use rm -rf on
> directories.  But I was just lucky to be able to unlearn that habit
> quick enough :-)

I have a very recent cvs of emacs but neither `d x' nor `D' work for me
to delete a non-empty directory.

C-h m (from dired)
and C-s recurs (no hits)
    C-s delete (nothing other than [Dd])
    C-s directory  (none of these look right either)

Is this recursive delete well hidden?

* Re: Samba in Emacs?
       [not found]                         ` <mailman.8694.1056654424.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-26 19:20                           ` Stein A. Stromme
From: Stein A. Stromme @ 2003-06-26 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Harry Putnam]

| stromme@mi.uib.no (Stein A. Stromme) writes:
|
| > | Dired can now delete directories recursively.  This is a relatively
| > | new feature.  That's also why I got into the habit to use rm -rf on
| > | directories.  But I was just lucky to be able to unlearn that habit
| > | quick enough :-)
| >
| > Great!  Now: what is the best way to change old habits?
|
| Super glue the ! key... ?

LOL
--

@ 2003-06-27 16:34                         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-27 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have a very recent cvs of emacs but neither `d x' nor `D' work for me
> to delete a non-empty directory.
>
> C-h m (from dired)
> and C-s recurs (no hits)
>     C-s delete (nothing other than [Dd])
>     C-s directory  (none of these look right either)
>
> Is this recursive delete well hidden?

Ah, there is a variable dired-recursive-deletes.  I just "emacs -q
-no-site-file" on Emacs 21.3, then set dired-recursive-deletes to
top, then hit d x in dired on a nonempty directory with subdirs, and
lo! it was deleted.

--
~/.signature