all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C mode strange coding style
@ 2003-02-18 23:02 kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-02-18 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

A co-worker uses a coding style for C functions like this:

long function_name
  (
   int var1,
   int var2
  )
  { ...

Neither font-lock nor imenu seem to identify functions when the
parameters are coded on a separate line after the (.

Is there any fix or work around?

Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

* Re: C mode strange coding style
@ 2003-02-20 19:56 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-20 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:

> A co-worker uses a coding style for C functions like this:
>
> long function_name
>   (
>    int var1,
>    int var2
>   )
>   { ...
>
> Neither font-lock nor imenu seem to identify functions when the
> parameters are coded on a separate line after the (.

For imenu, the problem might be that the "{" is not at beginning of
line.  See defun-prompt-regexp -- does that help?

* Re: C mode strange coding style
@ 2003-03-11 20:49   ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-03-11 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

It didn't help yet.  I used customize to add a regexp equal to a
single space, saved for the current session, and clicked
index->rescan.  The function still does not appear.  Not being a
regexp expert, was that correct?

@ 2003-03-12 14:31     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:

> It didn't help yet.  I used customize to add a regexp equal to a
> single space, saved for the current session, and clicked
> index->rescan.  The function still does not appear.  Not being a
> regexp expert, was that correct?

First of all, it seems you have more than one space before the "{".

Secondly, the documentation says that the variable automatically
become buffer-local when set.  So I suggest to try it interactively
in a buffer, first:

M-x set-variable RET defun-prompt-regexp RET " SPC SPC SPC " RET

Then rescan and see if that helps.  Adjust the number of spaces...