all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Two questions - Gnus and IRC related
@ 2003-04-08 11:17 Hiran Watson
From: Hiran Watson @ 2003-04-08 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

1) How can I set Gnus to automatically display all messages (read and unread) for new newsgroups I subscribe to? Currently I type G + c to go into the config options for a particular newsgroup and change the display option. Can I have Gnus do this for any new newsgroups I subscribe to?

2) Can I connect to/read/write to IRC channels with Emacs? If so, what's the package I need to install? Someone told me it is possible, but I can't seem to find any packages related to that (using aptitude in Debian and the Emacs help and the Emacs website).

Thanks.

God bless
Hiran

* Re: Two questions - Gnus and IRC related
@ 2003-04-08 11:58 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-08 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hiran Watson <hw_stuckie@hotmail.com> writes:

> 1) How can I set Gnus to automatically display all messages (read
> and unread) for new newsgroups I subscribe to? Currently I type G +
> c to go into the config options for a particular newsgroup and
> change the display option. Can I have Gnus do this for any new
> newsgroups I subscribe to?

You can set a parameter on a topic, then it takes effect for all
groups in that topic.

> 2) Can I connect to/read/write to IRC channels with Emacs? If so,
> what's the package I need to install? Someone told me it is
> possible, but I can't seem to find any packages related to that
> (using aptitude in Debian and the Emacs help and the Emacs website).

Google for "emacs irc".

* Re: Two questions - Gnus and IRC related
@ 2003-04-08 15:09 ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-04-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hiran Watson <hw_stuckie@hotmail.com> writes:

> 2) Can I connect to/read/write to IRC channels with Emacs? If so, what's the package I need to install? Someone told me it is possible, but I can't seem to find any packages related to that (using aptitude in Debian and the Emacs help and the Emacs website).

Have a look at zenirc.el.

* Re: Two questions - Gnus and IRC related
@ 2003-04-08 18:05 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2003-04-08 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hiran Watson wrote:

> 2) Can I connect to/read/write to IRC channels with Emacs? If so,
>    what's the package I need to install? Someone told me it is
>    possible, but I can't seem to find any packages related to that
>    (using aptitude in Debian and the Emacs help and the Emacs
>    website).

Try ERC:

        http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EmacsIRCClient

Ted