all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Terminal emulation in shell
@ 2002-11-22 20:07 iganpo
From: iganpo @ 2002-11-22 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to emulate a terminal, say VT-100, in a *shell*?  For
example, programs that echo the backspace character end up with a ^H
instead, and more (or less) doesn't function.  I'm running emacs 20.7.1 on
Windows 2000.

Thanks.

* Re: Terminal emulation in shell
@ 2002-11-22 20:30 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-11-22 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6e7f271d.0211221207.4cc23bdf@posting.google.com>,
iganpo <iganpo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Is there a way to emulate a terminal, say VT-100, in a *shell*?  For
>example, programs that echo the backspace character end up with a ^H
>instead, and more (or less) doesn't function.  I'm running emacs 20.7.1 on
>Windows 2000.

No, there's no terminal emulation in shell buffers.  Why do you need to use
more or less when you're in a shell buffer?  You already have the ability
to scroll back and forth through the output, you don't need to run another
program to do that.

When I'm in an Emacs shell, I set $PAGER to "cat", so that all the
applications that would normally pipe their output through less will just
dump it straight out.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

* Re: Terminal emulation in shell
@ 2002-11-22 21:42   ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-11-22 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Margolin <barmar@genuity.net> writes:

>When I'm in an Emacs shell, I set $PAGER to "cat", so that all the
>applications that would normally pipe their output through less will just
>dump it straight out.

Now THAT is a great idea!
--
Mike Slass

* Re: Terminal emulation in shell
@ 2002-11-24 14:53 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-24 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

iganpo@yahoo.com (iganpo) writes:

> Is there a way to emulate a terminal, say VT-100, in a *shell*?

No, but you can use M-x term RET instead of M-x shell RET which will
give you a credible VT100 emulation.

kai