all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* pcl-cvs / vc workflow description desired.
@ 2003-03-07  4:18 Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2003-03-07  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm trying to use pcl-cvs and/or vc with GNU Emacs, and not having a very good
time with it.  In pcl-cvs, I can do the normal stuff (update, commit, add,
etc).  But when I see the dreaded "need to merge" message, I have no idea
what's going on.  What do I do?  It seems that it's very easy to screw up at
this point.  I press 'd' 'E', and get the message "Merge is not applicalbe to
any of the selected files.  But the line says "need to merge" right there.  I
fumble around and press some keys before I know it, it's all "up-to-date", of
course the contents is crap and I've just erased someone else's work.

I have other confustions such as why all these .#file.version files are
popping up in my working dir.  I want to know the work-flow that I should be
following.  At this point I'm so confused and it's so volatile that I think I
need keystroke by keystroke help.  Any help?

Ohh, and vc, I have no idea what's going on there.  How do I quickly commit a
file I'm editing?

--
Le

* Re: pcl-cvs / vc workflow description desired.
@ 2003-03-07 16:08 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-07 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wang <lewang(at@)yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm trying to use pcl-cvs and/or vc with GNU Emacs, and not having a
> very good time with it.  In pcl-cvs, I can do the normal stuff
> (update, commit, add, etc).  But when I see the dreaded "need to
> merge" message, I have no idea what's going on.  What do I do?  It
> seems that it's very easy to screw up at this point.  I press 'd'
> 'E', and get the message "Merge is not applicalbe to any of the
> selected files.  But the line says "need to merge" right there.  I
> fumble around and press some keys before I know it, it's all
> "up-to-date", of course the contents is crap and I've just erased
> someone else's work.

Ayee.  "Needs merge" means that you need to run "cvs update".
The "d E" command is applicable for the "Conflict" case.

It is unfortunate that a command named "merge" does not apply for a
file that has "needs merge" on it.

What can we do?  Maybe "d E" should be called resolve-conflict.

* Re: pcl-cvs / vc workflow description desired.
@ 2003-03-10 20:29 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-03-10 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have other confustions such as why all these .#file.version files are
> popping up in my working dir.  I want to know the work-flow that I should
> be  following.  At this point I'm so confused and it's so volatile that
> I think I  need keystroke by keystroke help.  Any help?

How about reading the CVS manual ?
PCL-CVS is not designed to hide the underlying CVS but just to make it a bit
easier to use from Emacs, so it will make a lot more sense once you're
familiar with CVS.

* Re: pcl-cvs / vc workflow description desired.
@ 2003-03-10 23:58   ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2003-03-10 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I have other confustions such as why all these .#file.version files are
>> popping up in my working dir.  I want to know the work-flow that I should
>> be  following.  At this point I'm so confused and it's so volatile that
>> I think I  need keystroke by keystroke help.  Any help?
>
> How about reading the CVS manual ?

How about that?  ;)

I have done so, and am now much more comfortable with vc and pcl-cvs.

> PCL-CVS is not designed to hide the underlying CVS but just to make it a bit
> easier to use from Emacs, so it will make a lot more sense once you're
> familiar with CVS.

true dat.

--
Le