I tested patch1 somewhat randomly, opening 4/5 windows horizontally, 1/2 windows vertically, and did also some attempt splitting windows in two frames. Played also a bit on the text-only Emacs (using MSYS shell). Everything worked fine with patch1, except for an unexpected small and non-blocking issue (let's call it "diagonal-drag" issue) that can be reproduced as follows: - C-x 3 M-x ruler-mode (you should see two windows with ruler) - click S- on the ruler of the rightmost window, this will set a left margin, choose a width of around 10~20 chars - drag "diagonally" a column, for example moving down-left the fill-column, until the cursor goes a few pixels below the ruler area - you will see that the dragged column will "jump" innaturally to the left of around 10~20 chars Tentative diagnosys: function `ruler-mode-window-col' returns a different column value depending if you are inside or outside the ruler area. The actual problem is probably inherited from `posn-col-row', but I could not clarify any better. I wrote patch 2, that worked for me to solve the "diagonal-drag" issue.