all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs lacks ed's "c"
@ 2002-12-22 20:01 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-12-22 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could it be that emacs does not implement a basic ed(1) command, "c",
for changing text, i.e. emacs seems to have no way, with just one
command, to exchange the current region with the contents of the kill
buffer.  Not that anybody needed it of course but aren't you going to
keep up with the Joneses?
--
Http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: emacs lacks ed's "c"
       [not found] <mailman.527.1040601769.19936.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-23 18:06 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-23 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> writes:

> Could it be that emacs does not implement a basic ed(1) command, "c",
> for changing text, i.e. emacs seems to have no way, with just one
> command, to exchange the current region with the contents of the kill
> buffer.

FWIW, I think `c' requires you to type in the new text.  So after
marking the region, you might as well type C-w, then type the new
text :-)

> Not that anybody needed it of course but aren't you going to keep up
> with the Joneses?

Whee.  Of course, there is always M-x viper RET...

Hm.  Indeed, it seems that there is no easy way to do what you are
asking for.  Hm.  One would have to type C-w C-y M-y.  Luckily, it's
easy to make a kbd macro that does this.