all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Minibuffer movement
@ 2012-07-12 17:23 William Stevenson
From: William Stevenson @ 2012-07-12 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a theme that includes:
(minibuffer-prompt ((t (:foreground "#0084C8" :bold t))))

This causes the minibuffer to create extra padding below the prompt and causes
the modeline to shift upwards. I've included an animated gif to illustrate
this. Is there any way to keep my bold prompt but stop this movement?

[-- Attachment #2: minibuffer/modeline shifting --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 32079 bytes --]

* Re: Minibuffer movement
@ 2012-07-12 17:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-07-12 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: William Stevenson <yhvh2000@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 18:23:14 +0100
>
> I have a theme that includes:
> (minibuffer-prompt ((t (:foreground "#0084C8" :bold t))))
>
> This causes the minibuffer to create extra padding below the prompt and causes
> the modeline to shift upwards. I've included an animated gif to illustrate
> this. Is there any way to keep my bold prompt but stop this movement?

Does it help to set resize-mini-windows to nil or t?

* Re: Minibuffer movement
@ 2012-07-12 18:20   ` William Stevenson
From: William Stevenson @ 2012-07-12 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: William Stevenson <yhvh2000@gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 18:23:14 +0100
>>
>> I have a theme that includes:
>> (minibuffer-prompt ((t (:foreground "#0084C8" :bold t))))
>>
>> This causes the minibuffer to create extra padding below the prompt
>> and causes the modeline to shift upwards. I've included an animated
>> gif to illustrate this. Is there any way to keep my bold prompt but
>> stop this movement?
>
> Does it help to set resize-mini-windows to nil or t?

t   => No noticable effect

nil => Padding doesn't happen now but of course buffer does not resize when
needed >.<

* Re: Minibuffer movement
@ 2012-07-12 19:26     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-07-12 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: William Stevenson <yhvh2000@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 19:20:20 +0100
>
> > Does it help to set resize-mini-windows to nil or t?
>
> t   => No noticable effect

It does have effect, if later the contents of the minibuffer changes
so that it no longer needs extra space.  I guess it's not what happens
for you.

> nil => Padding doesn't happen now but of course buffer does not resize when
> needed >.<

Define "when needed".  The default behavior causes the resize because
your prompt font is slightly larger than the default one.  So Emacs
resizes the minibuffer window because "that's needed" in your case.
The question is: what's the difference between this case and those
where you are ready to accept the resize?