all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#22681: Shows right-to-left text characters in the wrong order
@ 2016-02-15 17:27 Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2016-02-15 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22681

The Arabic word for dog is al-kalb (الكلب), but when I try to insert this
word into an otherwise left-to-right document, Emacs renders the characters
of al-kalb backwards, forming nonsense.

System:

$ specs emacs brew os
specs --version
0.21

emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.5.1
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

brew --version
Homebrew 0.9.5 (git revision 1fc4; last commit 2016-02-09)

system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType | grep 'System Version'
    System Software Overview:
      System Version: OS X 10.11.3 (15D21)
      System Integrity Protection: Enabled

--
Cheers,
Andrew

* bug#22681: Shows right-to-left text characters in the wrong order
@ 2016-02-15 18:23 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-02-15 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pennebaker; +Cc: 22681

> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 11:27:52 -0600
> From: Andrew Pennebaker <andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com>
>
> The Arabic word for dog is al-kalb (الكلب), but when I try to insert this word into an otherwise left-to-right
> document, Emacs renders the characters of al-kalb backwards, forming nonsense.

Do you see the same with the Arabic and Hebrew greetings in the buffer
presented by the "C-h H" command?

Anyway, this sounds like something OS X specific, because on my system
(which is not OS X) the Arabic word you cited is displayed in its
correct visual order.

* bug#22681: Shows right-to-left text characters in the wrong order
@ 2016-02-20  5:55   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-02-20  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 22681

>> The Arabic word for dog is al-kalb (الكلب), but when I try to insert this
>> word into an otherwise left-to-right
>> document, Emacs renders the characters of al-kalb backwards, forming nonsense.

> Do you see the same with the Arabic and Hebrew greetings in the buffer
> presented by the "C-h H" command?

> Anyway, this sounds like something OS X specific, because on my system
> (which is not OS X) the Arabic word you cited is displayed in its correct
> visual order.

It displays here on OS X correctly.  Which font are you using?  What is the
buffer coding system?  How was Emacs built?

* bug#22681: Shows right-to-left text characters in the wrong order
@ 2016-12-07 19:43     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2016-12-07 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22681-done

John Wiegley wrote:

> It displays here on OS X correctly.  Which font are you using?  What is the
> buffer coding system?  How was Emacs built?

No response in 10 months, closing.