all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* what coding system to select when I insert a unicode character
@ 2018-12-26 10:38 Angus Comber
From: Angus Comber @ 2018-12-26 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

I sometimes need to insert mathematical symbols into my emacs text files
and when I do I get prompted for a coding system.  And the default is
japanese-shift-jis which seems strange when less than half the population
of the world is Japanese.  I am in the UK, what coding system should I use?

I am inserting unicode characters.  eg c-x 8, then enter a unicode number.
eg 2203 for the existential quantification symbol.

* Re: what coding system to select when I insert a unicode character
@ 2018-12-26 10:47 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2018-12-26 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 10:38:37AM +0000, Angus Comber wrote:
> I sometimes need to insert mathematical symbols into my emacs text files
> and when I do I get prompted for a coding system.  And the default is
> japanese-shift-jis which seems strange when less than half the population
> of the world is Japanese.  I am in the UK, what coding system should I use?

Almost always utf-8. Select utf-8-unix, utf-8-dos or utf-8-mac depending
on your preferred platform (they differ in the line endings).

Cheers
-- tomás

* Re: what coding system to select when I insert a unicode character
@ 2018-12-26 15:43 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-12-26 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:38:37 +0000
>
> I sometimes need to insert mathematical symbols into my emacs text files
> and when I do I get prompted for a coding system.  And the default is
> japanese-shift-jis which seems strange when less than half the population
> of the world is Japanese.

This is fixed in Emacs 27, it suggests UTF-8 in most such cases.

* Re: what coding system to select when I insert a unicode character
@ 2018-12-26 15:44   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-12-26 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 11:47:54 +0100
> From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>
> Select utf-8-unix, utf-8-dos or utf-8-mac depending on your
> preferred platform (they differ in the line endings).

Emacs knows the preferred EOL format of the platform, and will
automatically select it if the user chooses just 'utf-8', with no
explicit EOL conversion.

* Re: what coding system to select when I insert a unicode character
@ 2018-12-26 16:03     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2018-12-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs