all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About selecting text with slash
@ 2019-11-16 20:13 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2019-11-16 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When one double clicks the underscore in this text

   $(B)/def_ghij

also the slash is selected... while if the text does not contain the underscore,

  $(B)/defghij

double clicking the word, does not select the slash...

Other cases would be

  $(B)/def_ghij/   # Both slashes selected
  $(B)/defghij/    # No slash selected

Is this intentional? Really, I do not see the need to have also the slash selected...

* Re: About selecting text with slash
@ 2019-11-16 20:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-11-16 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:13:48 +0100 (CET)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it>
>
> When one double clicks the underscore in this text
>
>    $(B)/def_ghij
>
> also the slash is selected... while if the text does not contain the underscore,
>
>   $(B)/defghij
>
> double clicking the word, does not select the slash...
>
> Other cases would be
>
>   $(B)/def_ghij/   # Both slashes selected
>   $(B)/defghij/    # No slash selected

In what major mode do you see that?  I don't think I can reproduce
what you describe, but maybe that's specific to some mode?

* Re: About selecting text with slash
@ 2019-11-16 20:25 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2019-11-16 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Nov 16 2019, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> Other cases would be
>
>   $(B)/def_ghij/   # Both slashes selected
>   $(B)/defghij/    # No slash selected
>

> Is this intentional? Really, I do not see the need to have also the slash selected...

Both have symbol syntax, so for the purpose of selection there is no
difference between ?_ and ?/.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: About selecting text with slash
@ 2019-11-16 20:27 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-11-16 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> When one double clicks the underscore in this text

If you double click on a word-char you select a word
If you double click on a symbol-char you select a symbol
If you double click on a paren-char you select the sexp

So yes, it's probably expected, tho exactly which chars are considered
word-chars vs symbol-chars vs punctuation ... depends on the major modes
and other such details.

* Re: About selecting text with slash
@ 2019-11-16 20:44   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2019-11-16 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Il 16 novembre 2019 alle 21.18 Eli Zaretskii  ha scritto:
>
> In what major mode do you see that?  I don't think I can reproduce
> what you describe, but maybe that's specific to some mode?

I discovered this editing a Makefile (GNUmakefile) but it occurs also in Fundamental, Text, Shell-Script[bash], Markdown.. not in F90, Python, for example.