all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* capslock key mapped with keytweak seems to be unbound by Emacs w32
@ 2017-08-26 21:17 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2017-08-26 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have been using Emacs from version 21 through 24.3.1 and I recently
noticed that the capslock key does nothing in w32 Emacs. Works in Word,
Notepad, Wordpad, browser and every other application that takes
keyboard input.
C-h k shows nothing when capslock pressed (maybe it shouldn't; I never
tried it before)
The only new thing I've noticed in my .emacs is a canlock customization
line that is used by gnus, a package I never use anymore. I commented
out this line from customization and also everything in .emacs that
mentioned gnus but I still get no functionality by pressing capslock in
Emacs.

I should mention that I have reassigned the ctl, alt, windows, etc keys
with the keytweak utility (edits scancode assignments in registry) and
in fact the functionality of \| key and capslock are swapped but that
first key still works in Emacs and both work everywhere but in Emacs.
Are there any w32 Emacs packages that would mess with a scancode
assignment and then reset it on exit from Emacs ???

Any help or even only insight into this problem would be appeciated.

Thank you,

Ed

* Re: capslock key mapped with keytweak seems to be unbound by Emacs w32
@ 2017-08-27  1:33 ` Mario Castelán Castro
From: Mario Castelán Castro @ 2017-08-27  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 26/08/17 16:17, B. T. Raven wrote:
> Any help or even only insight into this problem would be appeciated.

I see several methods for Windows listed in
<https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MovingTheCtrlKey>. Take a look if you
haven't already.

I discourage using proprietary software, for the already widely known
(at least among *GNU* Emacs users, I would assume) ethical problems with it.

In GNU/Linux I swap them with “setxkbmap -option ctrl:swapcaps”.

--
Do not eat animals, respect them as you respect people.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan

* Re: capslock key mapped with keytweak seems to be unbound by Emacs w32
@ 2017-08-27  1:42 ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2017-08-27  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: B. T. Raven

B. T. Raven <btraven@nihilo.net> wrote:
> I have been using Emacs from version 21 through 24.3.1 and I recently
> noticed that the capslock key does nothing in w32 Emacs. Works in
> Word, Notepad, Wordpad, browser and every other application that takes
> keyboard input. C-h k shows nothing when capslock pressed (maybe it
> shouldn't; I never tried it before) The only new thing I've noticed in
> my .emacs is a canlock customization line that is used by gnus, a
> package I never use anymore. I commented out this line from
> customization and also everything in .emacs that mentioned gnus but I
> still get no functionality by pressing capslock in Emacs.
>
> I should mention that I have reassigned the ctl, alt, windows, etc
> keys with the keytweak utility (edits scancode assignments in
> registry) and in fact the functionality of \| key and capslock are
> swapped but that first key still works in Emacs and both work
> everywhere but in Emacs. Are there any w32 Emacs packages that would
> mess with a scancode assignment and then reset it on exit from Emacs
> ???

I don't have any idea what the cause might be, but it sounds like it
would be worth checking whether the same situation holds in "emacs -Q".
That will answer whether any of your Emacs packages or customizations
are involved.

        John

* Re: capslock key mapped with keytweak seems to be unbound by Emacs w32
@ 2017-08-27 14:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-08-27 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net>
> Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 16:17:29 -0500
>
> I have been using Emacs from version 21 through 24.3.1 and I recently
> noticed that the capslock key does nothing in w32 Emacs. Works in Word,
> Notepad, Wordpad, browser and every other application that takes
> keyboard input.
> C-h k shows nothing when capslock pressed (maybe it shouldn't; I never
> tried it before)

CapsLock should produce the effect you expect: upper-case letters when
you press letter keys.  It does that here, in every Emacs version I
ever used.

> Any help or even only insight into this problem would be appeciated.

Like others told you, begin by trying this in "emacs -Q".  If CapsLock
doesn't work there as well, try disabling the key reassignment
software you installed.