all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* query-replace and the bottom of the screen
@ 2017-09-05 12:00 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-09-05 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

Running emacs 26 on Ubuntu 14.04.

When I start emacs -q and run
query-replace, say like this

(query-replace "this" "this" nil nil nil nil nil)
then everything works like expected:

Text with  expression «this» which is in the middle of my screen is
presented in the middle of the screen:

And I am asked to replace it.

However when I start emacs with my init file, open a file which covers
various screen pages
and do
(query-replace "this" "this" nil nil nil nil nil)

The cursor always jumps to the bottom of the screen and asks me to
replace. This makes it difficult to see the context of the change.
This misbehavior must be caused by some of my setting. But what could it
be. Did anybody notice a similar experience?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: query-replace and the bottom of the screen
@ 2017-09-05 14:58 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-09-05 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 14:00:33 +0200
>
> When I start emacs -q and run
> query-replace, say like this
>

> (query-replace "this" "this" nil nil nil nil nil)
> then everything works like expected:
>
> Text with  expression «this» which is in the middle of my screen is
> presented in the middle of the screen:
>
> And I am asked to replace it.
>
> However when I start emacs with my init file, open a file which covers
> various screen pages
> and do
> (query-replace "this" "this" nil nil nil nil nil)
>
> The cursor always jumps to the bottom of the screen and asks me to
> replace. This makes it difficult to see the context of the change.
> This misbehavior must be caused by some of my setting. But what could it
> be.

Do you perhaps have scroll-conservatively set to a value larger than
100?  If so, Emacs is behaving like you requested.

* Re: query-replace and the bottom of the screen
@ 2017-09-05 15:51   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-09-05 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    > Do you perhaps have scroll-conservatively set to a value larger than
    > 100?  If so, Emacs is behaving like you requested.

Indeed this is the case
I had

(setq scroll-conservatively  10000)

Following

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SmoothScrolling

Now I set it to zero

So is this behavior intentional or is it a bug?

* Re: query-replace and the bottom of the screen
@ 2017-09-05 16:27     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-09-05 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 17:51:59 +0200
>
>     > Do you perhaps have scroll-conservatively set to a value larger than
>     > 100?  If so, Emacs is behaving like you requested.
>
> Indeed this is the case
> I had
>
> (setq scroll-conservatively  10000)
>
> Following
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SmoothScrolling
>

> Now I set it to zero
>
> So is this behavior intentional or is it a bug?

It's exactly what that variable with that value is supposed to cause.
People who like that behavior want Emacs to scroll the screen as
little as possible, so point after scrolling is always either at the
first or the last visible line of the window, depending on whether
point moved back or forward from its last position.

IOW, this is intentional behavior when scroll-conservatively is set to
something greater than 100.