all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to over-ride locate-domination-stop-dir-regex
@ 2018-05-19  6:07 robjsargent
       [not found] ` <mailman.72.1526716830.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: robjsargent @ 2018-05-19  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I need to stop locate-dominating-file from crossing an automount boundary (/uufs/chcp.utah.edu/common/home/) since each dominating-file check (for .hg .git. .svn et al) takes three seconds to fail.

I have tried assigning it within (custom-set-variables ) in my .emacs but stepping through the function my setting is in place for only the first dominating file check.  The build-in value return on the second dominating file.

* Re: How to over-ride locate-domination-stop-dir-regex
@ 2018-05-19  8:00 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.72.1526716830.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-19  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 23:07:11 -0700 (PDT)
> From: robjsargent@gmail.com
>
> I need to stop locate-dominating-file from crossing an automount boundary (/uufs/chcp.utah.edu/common/home/) since each dominating-file check (for .hg .git. .svn et al) takes three seconds to fail.

I think you want to customize locate-dominating-stop-dir-regexp.

> I have tried assigning it within (custom-set-variables ) in my .emacs but stepping through the function my setting is in place for only the first dominating file check.  The build-in value return on the second dominating file.

I don't understand this part: what do "assigning it" and "my setting"
mean in this context?  What did you try to assign?

@ 2018-05-19 20:58   ` robjsargent
From: robjsargent @ 2018-05-19 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, agreed: setting/overriding locate-DOMINATING-stop-dir-regex is the issue (cursed auto-completion in the subject line aside)
I have set it in my .emacs using both
;; I’m at a place where copy-paste doesn’t work so these are unreliable
 (custom-set-variables  ‘(locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex (purecopy “\\`/uufs/chpc.utah.edu/home/camp-group1/\\’”))
; using the above a restart of emacs, C-h v says the value of stop-dir-regex is as I set it
;; or
(defvar locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex “\\`/uufs/chpc.utah.edu/home/camp-group1/\\’”)
; but here in a restart of emacs C-h v does not have stop-dir-regex as my custom value (it’s the default value)

and neither of those stops locate-dominating-file from looking for files in /uufs/chpc.utah.edu/home/ directly.  From strace I have seen a three second delay for each of the 7 various dominating file checks (.svn .git .bzr et al).  From elp I have stepped through locate-dominating-file and had a success returned from the string-match on my regex vs the tested directory name and then the next call to locate-dominating-file uses the built in value (from files.elc)  not mine (from .emacs) and does not stop the directory search, hence it crosses the automount divide and takes 3 seconds.

I hope I’ve addressed your questions.  I’m desparate to get this resolved.

* Re: How to over-ride locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex
@ 2018-05-21 20:06     ` Rob Sargent
       [not found]       ` <mailman.195.1526956269.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rob Sargent @ 2018-05-21 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Since I cannot replace files.elc  in /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp (I am not an administrator) I installed the source files.el in ~/.emacs.d/lisp which precedes the default in my load-path.  I then edited the value of locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex.  Still the value of the variable is that found in files.elc

How on earth am I to override this rather archaic setting?

* Re: How to over-ride locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex
@ 2018-05-22  2:31       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.195.1526956269.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-22  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 13:06:10 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com>
>
> Since I cannot replace files.elc  in /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp (I am not an administrator) I installed the source files.el in ~/.emacs.d/lisp which precedes the default in my load-path.  I then edited the value of locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex.  Still the value of the variable is that found in files.elc
>
> How on earth am I to override this rather archaic setting?

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't setq work for you?

  (setq locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex WHATEVER)

(Replace "WHATEVER" with the value you need for your use case.)

@ 2018-05-22  5:13         ` Rob Sargent
From: Rob Sargent @ 2018-05-22  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In short, No.  I have (setq locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex MY-VERSION-OF-WHATEVER) and C-h v returns my whatever, but it does not stop locate-dominating-file from going beyond my whatever.  I can’t step through it from current situation but will tomorrow and report.

* Re: How to over-ride locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex
@ 2018-05-22 11:54         ` Andy Moreton
       [not found]           ` <mailman.247.1527007430.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andy Moreton @ 2018-05-22 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue 22 May 2018, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 13:06:10 -0700 (PDT)
>> From: Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com>
>>
>> Since I cannot replace files.elc in /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp (I am not an
>> administrator) I installed the source files.el in ~/.emacs.d/lisp which
>> precedes the default in my load-path. I then edited the value of
>> locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex. Still the value of the variable is that
>> found in files.elc
>>
>> How on earth am I to override this rather archaic setting?
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't setq work for you?
>
>   (setq locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex WHATEVER)
>
> (Replace "WHATEVER" with the value you need for your use case.)

I think you meant `locate-dominating-stop-dir-regexp'.

    AndyM

* Re: How to over-ride locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex
@ 2018-05-22 16:43           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <mailman.247.1527007430.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-22 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 12:54:02 +0100
>
> >   (setq locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex WHATEVER)
> >
> > (Replace "WHATEVER" with the value you need for your use case.)
>
> I think you meant `locate-dominating-stop-dir-regexp'.

Indeed, I did.  Sorry for the typo.  That could be the explanation why
using that incorrect spelling doesn't fix the problem.

@ 2018-05-23  0:49             ` Rob Sargent
From: Rob Sargent @ 2018-05-23  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was _so_ hoping that it was as simple as me being a bonehead and dropping the p from regexp.
But I have regexp in my .emacs override.
;;
(setq locate-dominating-stop-dir-regexp "\\`/uufs/chpc.utah.edu/common/home/camp-group1/\\'")

And I open this file: /uufs/chpc.utah.edu/common/home/camp-group1/bin/segmentGT.awk

Using edebug-defun I step through locate-dominating-file and the string-match test uses my value for stop-dir-regexp, eventually matches it after peeling off "bin/segmentGT.awk" and exits the defun.  Then emacs immediately re-enter the defun and this time the string-match uses the built-in value for stop-dir-regexp.  This of course will never match _anything_ and I hit the three second automount timeouts.

Note that the machine running emacs does not have emacs or the OS physically, locally installed.  All machines available to me get an image supplied from elsewhere. In my debugging I'm stepping through files.el in home dir (~/.emacs.d/lisp/files.el(24.3))

I may have some other bonehead problem, but not misspelled regexp

* Re: How to over-ride locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex
@ 2018-05-23  1:43               ` Stefan Monnier
                                 ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-05-23  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Using edebug-defun I step through locate-dominating-file and the
> string-match test uses my value for stop-dir-regexp, eventually matches it
> after peeling off "bin/segmentGT.awk" and exits the defun.  Then emacs
> immediately re-enter the defun and this time the string-match uses the
> built-in value for stop-dir-regexp.

At that point, do M-x edebug-backtrace RET

This should help us figure out where the variable is overridden.

* Re: How to over-ride locate-dominating-stop-dir-regex
@ 2018-05-23  1:47               ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]               ` <mailman.297.1527039848.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]               ` <mailman.298.1527040349.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-05-23  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Using edebug-defun I step through locate-dominating-file and the
> string-match test uses my value for stop-dir-regexp, eventually matches it
> after peeling off "bin/segmentGT.awk" and exits the defun.  Then emacs
> immediately re-enter the defun and this time the string-match uses the
> built-in value for stop-dir-regexp.  This of course will never match
> _anything_ and I hit the three second automount timeouts.

Oh, found it: it's

    (defcustom vc-ignore-dir-regexp
      ;; Stop SMB, automounter, AFS, and DFS host lookups.
      locate-dominating-stop-dir-regexp
      "Regexp matching directory names that are not under VC's control.
    The default regexp prevents fruitless and time-consuming attempts
    to determine the VC status in directories in which filenames are
    interpreted as hostnames."
      :type 'regexp
      :group 'vc)

used by VC.

I suggest you report it as a bug: vc-ignore-dir-regexp should only
"extend" locate-dominating-stop-dir-regexp but not override it (at
least by default).

@ 2018-05-23  1:49                 ` Rob Sargent
From: Rob Sargent @ 2018-05-23  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

At the re-entry into locate-dominating-file?

@ 2018-05-23  2:02                 ` Rob Sargent
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.349.1527102928.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rob Sargent @ 2018-05-23  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 7:52:32 PM UTC-6, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I suggest you report it as a bug: vc-ignore-dir-regexp should only
> "extend" locate-dominating-stop-dir-regexp but not override it (at
> least by default).
>

>         Stefan

Thank you!  I will indeed.  Seems to me this regexp really needs to a be a list anyway. The default  regexp is a list in disguise: //*/ or nfs or afs etc. Looks like I'll have to beg for a custom emacs installation - wish me luck.

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-05-23 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Thank you!  I will indeed.  Seems to me this regexp really needs
> to a be a list anyway.

Why would you want a list, when a single regexp does the trick (e.g. you
can *add* your own with (concat locate-dominating-stop-dir-regexp
"\\|myregexp").

@ 2018-05-26  4:17                     ` Rob Sargent
From: Rob Sargent @ 2018-05-26  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs