all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#1542: link emacs functions in Info
@ 2008-12-12  0:31 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-12-12  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

I was reading e.g., (info "(gnus)RSS"):
`nnrss-use-local'
     If you set `nnrss-use-local' to `t', `nnrss' will read the feeds
     from local files in `nnrss-directory'.  You can use the command
     `nnrss-generate-download-script' to generate a download script
     using `wget'.

And to learn more about nnrss-generate-download-script, I have to
place the cursor on it, and do C-h f.

I wish I could just TAB to it and hit RET.

Or maybe that would be a special case of using emacs when reading about emacs.

* bug#1542: link emacs functions in Info
@ 2019-09-30  7:23 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-09-30  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: 1542

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> I was reading e.g., (info "(gnus)RSS"):
> `nnrss-use-local'
>      If you set `nnrss-use-local' to `t', `nnrss' will read the feeds
>      from local files in `nnrss-directory'.  You can use the command
>      `nnrss-generate-download-script' to generate a download script
>      using `wget'.
>
> And to learn more about nnrss-generate-download-script, I have to
> place the cursor on it, and do C-h f.
>
> I wish I could just TAB to it and hit RET.
>
> Or maybe that would be a special case of using emacs when reading
> about emacs.

I think that would be a bit surprising for TAB and RET to work like that
in Info buffers -- it'd take you out if Info mode, which is usually not
what we want.  So I'm closing this as a "wontfix".

* bug#1542: link emacs functions in Info
@ 2019-09-30  7:56   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-09-30  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 1542, jidanni

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:23:17 +0200
> Cc: 1542@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> jidanni@jidanni.org writes:
>
> > I was reading e.g., (info "(gnus)RSS"):
> > `nnrss-use-local'
> >      If you set `nnrss-use-local' to `t', `nnrss' will read the feeds
> >      from local files in `nnrss-directory'.  You can use the command
> >      `nnrss-generate-download-script' to generate a download script
> >      using `wget'.
> >
> > And to learn more about nnrss-generate-download-script, I have to
> > place the cursor on it, and do C-h f.
> >
> > I wish I could just TAB to it and hit RET.
> >
> > Or maybe that would be a special case of using emacs when reading
> > about emacs.
>
> I think that would be a bit surprising for TAB and RET to work like that
> in Info buffers -- it'd take you out if Info mode, which is usually not
> what we want.

A good Info manual should have a cross-reference right after the name
of the function/variable, unless they are described in the same node.

So yes, going to the *Help* buffer from there would be wrong.