all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unclear in BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
@ 2010-01-02 23:31 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-01-02 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs says

    At the time of this writing, it is
    <code>sftp://&lt;membername&gt;@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk</code>
    but it may change at any moment.

but what does "membername" refer to?
The word "member" does not appear elsewhere in the page.

* Re: Unclear in BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
@ 2010-01-02 23:44 ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2010-01-02 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs says
>
>    At the time of this writing, it is
>    <code>sftp://&lt;membername&gt;@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk</code>
>    but it may change at any moment.
>
>but what does "membername" refer to?
>The word "member" does not appear elsewhere in the page.

It refers to one's Savannah username (e.g., mine is 'kfogel', yours is
'rms', etc).

I haven't heard of any other readers failing to grok that particular
bit, but feel free to tweak it if you think it needs to be clearer.

-Karl

* Re: Unclear in BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
@ 2010-01-03  2:28   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2010-01-03  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Karl Fogel; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:
>>but what does "membername" refer to?
>>The word "member" does not appear elsewhere in the page.
>
> It refers to one's Savannah username (e.g., mine is 'kfogel', yours is
> 'rms', etc).

"username" seems more conventional...

-Miles

--
Un-American, adj. Wicked, intolerable, heathenish.

* Re: Unclear in BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
@ 2010-01-03 10:40   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-01-03 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Karl Fogel; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
> Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 18:44:40 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> >http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs says
> >
> >    At the time of this writing, it is
> >    <code>sftp://&lt;membername&gt;@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk</code>
> >    but it may change at any moment.
> >
> >but what does "membername" refer to?
> >The word "member" does not appear elsewhere in the page.
>
> It refers to one's Savannah username (e.g., mine is 'kfogel', yours is
> 'rms', etc).

I added a note to that effect.

* Re: Unclear in BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
@ 2010-01-04  2:15 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-01-04  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

>     At the time of this writing, it is
>     <code>sftp://&lt;membername&gt;@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk</code>
>     but it may change at any moment.

Actually this should better be sftp://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk
since the user name is better specified in your ~/.ssh/config.

* Re: Unclear in BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
@ 2010-01-04  2:27   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2010-01-04  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 03:15, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Actually this should better be sftp://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk
> since the user name is better specified in your ~/.ssh/config.

Or in authentication.conf, in the Bazaar config directory:

[Savannah]
host = bzr.savannah.gnu.org
scheme = ssh
user = yourusername

    Juanma

* Re: Unclear in BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
@ 2010-01-04  4:10   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-01-04  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 21:15:43 -0500
>
> >     At the time of this writing, it is
> >     <code>sftp://&lt;membername&gt;@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk</code>
> >     but it may change at any moment.
>
> Actually this should better be sftp://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk
> since the user name is better specified in your ~/.ssh/config.

There's no reason to confuse the wiki page with that detail, since in
general you use the full URL only once.

* Re: Unclear in BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
@ 2010-01-04 18:03     ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2010-01-04 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
>Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:
>>>but what does "membername" refer to?
>>>The word "member" does not appear elsewhere in the page.
>>
>> It refers to one's Savannah username (e.g., mine is 'kfogel', yours is
>> 'rms', etc).
>
>"username" seems more conventional...

Done, good idea.

* Re: Unclear in BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
@ 2010-01-04 19:00       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-01-04 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:03:46 -0500 Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> wrote:

KF> Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
>>>
>>> It refers to one's Savannah username (e.g., mine is 'kfogel', yours is
>>> 'rms', etc).
>>
>> "username" seems more conventional...

KF> Done, good idea.

Can I also suggest USERNAME instead of <username> in the sample URL?
Since the rest of the URL is lowercase it stands out just as well, and
the <> markup is a little bit annoying when copy&pasted in the shell.

It's a really minor issue in any case :)

Ted

* Re: Unclear in BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
@ 2010-01-04 19:08         ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2010-01-04 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:03:46 -0500 Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> wrote:
>
>KF> Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

>>> "username" seems more conventional...
>
>KF> Done, good idea.
>
>Can I also suggest USERNAME instead of <username> in the sample URL?
>Since the rest of the URL is lowercase it stands out just as well, and
>the <> markup is a little bit annoying when copy&pasted in the shell.
>
>It's a really minor issue in any case :)

I need to pack for a trip right now, but please feel free to edit the
wiki -- your idea sounds good (including getting rid of the "<" and ">").

-K

* Re: Unclear in BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs
@ 2010-01-04 21:36           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-01-04 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 14:08:13 -0500 Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> wrote:

KF> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> Can I also suggest USERNAME instead of <username> in the sample URL?
>> Since the rest of the URL is lowercase it stands out just as well, and
>> the <> markup is a little bit annoying when copy&pasted in the shell.
>>
>> It's a really minor issue in any case :)

KF> I need to pack for a trip right now, but please feel free to edit the
KF> wiki -- your idea sounds good (including getting rid of the "<" and ">").

Thanks, I made the change.

Ted