all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is this a bug, the esoteric Elisp way?
@ 2019-09-10 17:36 Shyam Nath
From: Shyam Nath @ 2019-09-10 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

🖖 Hello World,

Goto `emacs -Q -nw`, type ";\r", or ";\n", and it indents the semicolon (alot); how do I stop this?

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER \V/,
AGENT S.
🕴
Migrating Infestive Bugs !!

* Re: Is this a bug, the esoteric Elisp way?
@ 2019-09-10 18:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-09-10 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 03:36:59 +1000
> From: Shyam Nath <shyam@shyam.id.au>
>
> Goto `emacs -Q -nw`, type ";\r", or ";\n", and it indents the semicolon (alot); how do I stop this?

Disable electric-indent-mode.

* Re: Is this a bug, the esoteric Elisp way?
@ 2019-09-10 18:22 ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2019-09-10 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shyam Nath; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 14:04, Shyam Nath <shyam@shyam.id.au> wrote:
> Goto `emacs -Q -nw`, type ";\r", or ";\n", and it indents the semicolon (alot); how do I stop this?

Type ";;\n" instead.

See (info "(elisp) Comment Tips")

* Re: Is this a bug, the esoteric Elisp way?
@ 2019-09-10 18:41 ` Shyam Nath
From: Shyam Nath @ 2019-09-10 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

PS:

I just figured it out; it's the Elisp way!

/^;[^;]/ is not the Elisp way ∵ *scratch* only has /^;;/, and there's some esoteric law about /[^;];[^;]/ only being inlined after an instruction, reminiscent of the syntax of C; 'tis the UNIX way, reminding us the Elisp Machine Accumulates C Supplements.

So `(setq electric-indent-mode nil)` disables it, and I thought it also disables all tabbing; this seems disabled in Elisp, but not plain text files, and http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/emacs_tabs_space_indentation_setup.html patches it. The documentation for electric-indent-mode says "If called from Lisp, enable the mode if ARG is omitted or nil.", but nil disables it; /implementation|typographical/ bug. Someone at #emacs mentioned electric-indent-mode, but my browser crashed, and webchat doesn't have private logging (into
 web storage on the client side; please make this happen, but I won't
need it when I learn ERC; which hopefully shouldn't be long from now).

Anyway, this is probably a bug; goto `emacs -Q -nw`, type ";\t", and it indents the semicolon (alot); how do I stop this?

---- On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 03:36:59 +1000 Shyam Nath <shyam@shyam.id.au> wrote ----

@ 2019-09-10 18:44   ` Shyam Nath
From: Shyam Nath @ 2019-09-10 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

🖖 Hello Noam,

Sorry, I didn't see this; thanks for the tips!

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER \V/,
AGENT S.
🕴
Migrating Infestive Bugs !!

---- On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 04:22:41 +1000 Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com> wrote ----

@ 2019-09-10 19:10   ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2019-09-10 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shyam Nath; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 14:42, Shyam Nath <shyam@shyam.id.au> wrote:

> So `(setq electric-indent-mode nil)` disables it, and I thought it also disables all tabbing; this seems disabled in Elisp, but not plain text files, and http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/emacs_tabs_space_indentation_setup.html patches it. The documentation for electric-indent-mode says "If called from Lisp, enable the mode if ARG is omitted or nil.", but nil disables it; /implementation|typographical/ bug.

The documentation you refer to is about the function, i.e.,
`(electric-indent-mode)` or `(electric-indent-mode nil)` will enable
the mode. Use `(electric-indent-mode -1)` to disable it.

Using setq on the variable won't do the right thing, as mentioned in
its documentation:

Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
either customize it (see the info node ‘Easy Customization’)
or call the function ‘electric-indent-mode’.

* Re: Is this a bug, the esoteric Elisp way?
@ 2019-09-10 19:43     ` Shyam Nath
From: Shyam Nath @ 2019-09-10 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

🖖 Hello Noam,

Thanks, I've changed it in my init.el file, but the way I was doing it before also worked; `C-h f electric-indent-mode` in 26.1 doesn't include any of that for me.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER \V/,
AGENT S.
🕴
Migrating Infestive Bugs !!

---- On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 05:10:52 +1000 Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com> wrote ----

@ 2019-09-10 19:48       ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2019-09-10 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shyam Nath; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 15:43, Shyam Nath <shyam@shyam.id.au> wrote:

> Thanks, I've changed it in my init.el file, but the way I was doing it before also worked;

I thought you said "this seems disabled in Elisp, but not plain text files".

> `C-h f electric-indent-mode` in 26.1 doesn't include any of that for me.

Try `C-h v electric-indent-mode` to see the variable documentation, or
`C-h o electric-indent-mode` to see both.

* Re: Is this a bug, the esoteric Elisp way?
@ 2019-09-11  5:18         ` shyam
From: shyam @ 2019-09-11  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

🖖 Hello Noam,

I meant all tabbing is disabled in Elisp, but not plain text files; thanks for the *Help*.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER \V/,
AGENT S.
🕴
Migrating Infestive Bugs !!