all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#22164: 25.0.50; Turning off blinking cursor mode makes menu tooltips behave erratically
@ 2015-12-13 17:56 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2015-12-13 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22164

With emacs -Q evaluate (blink-cursor-mode -1).  Click the "File" entry
on the menu bar.  When I now move the mouse from one menu entry to
another it takes approximately 8 seconds until the tooltip is removed
from the previous entry and shown at the current one.

Reproducible at least since Emacs 24.2 and likely a Windows-only bug.
It might be related to this part of ‘blink-cursor-timer-function’

   ;; Suspend counting blinks when the w32 menu-bar menu is displayed,
   ;; since otherwise menu tooltips will behave erratically.
   (or (and (fboundp 'w32--menu-bar-in-use)
	   (w32--menu-bar-in-use))
       (setq blink-cursor-blinks-done (1+ blink-cursor-blinks-done)))

but I cannot imagine how that can have any effect when cursor blinking
is turned off.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2015-12-12
Repository revision: 06f00d39ff73e0c6c87ffb09ef3d67e8d3446b01
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600

martin

* bug#22164: 25.0.50; Turning off blinking cursor mode makes menu tooltips behave erratically
@ 2015-12-13 18:10 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-13 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: 22164

> Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 18:56:27 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
>
> With emacs -Q evaluate (blink-cursor-mode -1).  Click the "File" entry
> on the menu bar.  When I now move the mouse from one menu entry to
> another it takes approximately 8 seconds until the tooltip is removed
> from the previous entry and shown at the current one.
>
> Reproducible at least since Emacs 24.2 and likely a Windows-only bug.
> It might be related to this part of ‘blink-cursor-timer-function’
>
>    ;; Suspend counting blinks when the w32 menu-bar menu is displayed,
>    ;; since otherwise menu tooltips will behave erratically.
>    (or (and (fboundp 'w32--menu-bar-in-use)
> 	   (w32--menu-bar-in-use))
>        (setq blink-cursor-blinks-done (1+ blink-cursor-blinks-done)))
>
> but I cannot imagine how that can have any effect when cursor blinking
> is turned off.

It's a known problem, and I don't know how to fix it (if a fix exists
at all).  We need redisplay to update the menu tooltips on Windows,
and without the blinking cursor there's no redisplay.

* bug#22164: 25.0.50; Turning off blinking cursor mode makes menu tooltips behave erratically
@ 2015-12-18 16:55   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2015-12-18 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 22164

 > It's a known problem, and I don't know how to fix it (if a fix exists
 > at all).  We need redisplay to update the menu tooltips on Windows,
 > and without the blinking cursor there's no redisplay.

So IIUC we would have to run a timer-based function in that case and
have it cause a redisplay when the menu bar is active.

martin