Do I understand you correctly that this is the expected result with that font? Because what Emacs displays, even without HarfBuzz as its shaping engine, looks exactly like that: the leftmost part of the letter is off-screen. > Also, if you don't pass neighboring context text to HarfBuzz, again, > nothing we can do. I believe this is about the other part: displaying text which is partially selected, when selection is shown as a different background color. You are saying that to do its job, a shaping engine needs to see the entire text, not just the part which has the same colors. Right? Thanks again for your comments.