all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Upstreaming url-http-ntlm.el
       [not found] <ier4jqfl7f5.fsf@janestreet.com>
@ 2023-03-28 15:10 ` Thomas Fitzsimmons
From: Thomas Fitzsimmons @ 2023-03-28 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Spencer Baugh

Hi,

Spencer made the following suggestion:

Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@janestreet.com> writes:

> It would be nice if url-http-ntlm was packaged with core Emacs, because
> (in my experience) there are lots of corporate proxies which require
> NTLM authentication to even reach the outside internet and thereby
> download packages such as url-http-ntlm.  So there's a chicken and egg
> problem.
>
> Have you considered upstreaming this package, to resolve this problem?

I think this rationale for having url-http-ntlm bundled into the Emacs
release tarball is strong.  Any objections?  If not, in what release
could it be included?  And, what is the procedure for including it?

Thanks,
Thomas

* Re: Upstreaming url-http-ntlm.el
@ 2023-03-28 17:21   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-28 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Fitzsimmons; +Cc: emacs-devel, sbaugh

> From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org>
> Cc: Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@janestreet.com>
> Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:10:01 -0400
>
> Hi,
>
> Spencer made the following suggestion:
>
> Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@janestreet.com> writes:
>
> > It would be nice if url-http-ntlm was packaged with core Emacs, because
> > (in my experience) there are lots of corporate proxies which require
> > NTLM authentication to even reach the outside internet and thereby
> > download packages such as url-http-ntlm.  So there's a chicken and egg
> > problem.
> >
> > Have you considered upstreaming this package, to resolve this problem?
>
> I think this rationale for having url-http-ntlm bundled into the Emacs
> release tarball is strong.  Any objections?

No objections, but it "needs work" before it can be included.  At the
very least, its main entry point should be documented in url.texi, and
some minor code and documentation cleanup is in order.  I also am not
sure we want to keep the change log at the end of the file.

> If not, in what release could it be included?

Since it "needs work", I think it should go to master.

> And, what is the procedure for including it?

From my POV, see above.  If the maintainers want to keep the package
on ELPA as well, then Stefan and Philip should probably chime in and
tell what is required on their part.

Thanks.

* Re: Upstreaming url-http-ntlm.el
@ 2023-04-17 19:07     ` Thomas Fitzsimmons
From: Thomas Fitzsimmons @ 2023-04-17 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, sbaugh

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org>
>> Cc: Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@janestreet.com>
>> Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:10:01 -0400
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Spencer made the following suggestion:
>>
>> Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@janestreet.com> writes:
>>
>> > It would be nice if url-http-ntlm was packaged with core Emacs, because
>> > (in my experience) there are lots of corporate proxies which require
>> > NTLM authentication to even reach the outside internet and thereby
>> > download packages such as url-http-ntlm.  So there's a chicken and egg
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > Have you considered upstreaming this package, to resolve this problem?
>>
>> I think this rationale for having url-http-ntlm bundled into the Emacs
>> release tarball is strong.  Any objections?
>
> No objections, but it "needs work" before it can be included.  At the
> very least, its main entry point should be documented in url.texi, and
> some minor code and documentation cleanup is in order.  I also am not
> sure we want to keep the change log at the end of the file.

Noted, I'll fix those before pushing; thanks for reviewing.

>> If not, in what release could it be included?
>
> Since it "needs work", I think it should go to master.

OK, thanks.  Spencer is trying to fix bug#62598.  I'll hold off adding
url-http-ntlm to master until that bug is fixed.

>> And, what is the procedure for including it?
>
> From my POV, see above.  If the maintainers want to keep the package
> on ELPA as well, then Stefan and Philip should probably chime in and
> tell what is required on their part.

I would maintain it on the Emacs master branch, but also make it
available in GNU ELPA, for use by older Emacs versions, like I do with
ntlm.el.

Thomas